Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial

Get Off of My Lawn!!!

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2013
By Tiger Rowan
Steelers Fever Columnist

It happened. I am now officially an “old man.”

For years, I used to laugh at my elders, who would recount the days of yester-year, lauding how it was always so much better when they were kids. I would snicker to myself, thinking, “Man, these old dudes just do not know much about anything.” And then… it happened… without warning… I became one of those old men.

I did not see it coming… although the signs were there (diminishing eye-sight; extra hair on body parts that used to have no hair at all; enjoying frozen yogurt). I was blind-sided by the fact that I had indeed officially become an old man.

Maybe I was in denial; maybe I did not notice because I am sort of a curmudgeon anyway; but, regardless, it happened: I vigorously uttered the words, “Back in my day…”

I was talking to a couple of whipper-snappers (did I just say “whipper-snappers”???) about the NFL draft. We were discussing how the format has changed considerably in the past few years. Currently, Roger Goodell holds the first round of the selection event on a Thursday night in April, followed by the second round on Friday, and then the later rounds on the weekend. These young bucks (did I just say “young bucks”???) were talking about how they were going to go to a bar to watch the draft, and how they loved going to the bars on a Thursday night. “Woo-hoo!!! An excuse to drink on a work night!!!” they cheered.

And, I replied with those four damning, little words: “Back in my day…”

I have never felt so old.

Read More: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1023.html

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-23-2013), harrison'samonster (04-22-2013), Lady Steel (04-22-2013), steelfury02 (04-23-2013), teegre (04-24-2013), TheVet (04-23-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial

Welcome to the club. Was an honor to see the great players of the 70's through the present day time. I was also honored to see the greatest team from circa 74-80 that I was witness to. Only the Chicago Bears of 85 come close to that team in defensive intensity and that was for only one season. The Steelers of that period were dominant for an extended period. The OLine was dominant and the running game was unreal. With TB flinging bombs to keep the defenses honest it was good times.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (04-23-2013), harrison'samonster (04-22-2013), teegre (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I'm hearing ya.

The first draft I closely followed was in 1983 when I was a kid and we selected Gabe Rivera (Senor Sack - God rest his soul) when we should have selected Dan Marino. I remembering buying a magazine from a 7-11 and learning everything about practically every player in the draft. I was so ready to see the Steelers play in preseason - and to my confusion - there were tons of players in uniform who were neither drafted nor on the roster the previous year. (I had no idea that there was such a thing as rookie free agents)

Since then, I've followed every draft as if it was Christmas day. In fact, it is like Christmas. We get a brand new shiny player with all the hopes of championships and Hall of fame potential to go along with it.

I will enjoy this year's draft just the same and will bestow all my loyalty and good feelings to all the new players drafted as Steelers.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

You mean we whiffed on draft picks as far back as 83. It had to be Tomlins or Bens fault then.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-23-2013), fansince'76 (04-23-2013), teegre (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,662 Times in 7,879 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I'm hearing ya.

The first draft I closely followed was in 1983 when I was a kid and we selected Gabe Rivera (Senor Sack - God rest his soul) when we should have selected Dan Marino. I remembering buying a magazine from a 7-11 and learning everything about practically every player in the draft. I was so ready to see the Steelers play in preseason - and to my confusion - there were tons of players in uniform who were neither drafted nor on the roster the previous year. (I had no idea that there was such a thing as rookie free agents)

Since then, I've followed every draft as if it was Christmas day. In fact, it is like Christmas. We get a brand new shiny player with all the hopes of championships and Hall of fame potential to go along with it.

I will enjoy this year's draft just the same and will bestow all my loyalty and good feelings to all the new players drafted as Steelers.
I used to get all of those draft guides & magazines: Mel Kiper, Drugstore List, Ourlads... as well as the guides from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, et cetera.

I would go through & highlight the guys that I had seen play. Then, for the guys that I didn't know, I circled (to make sure to catch their highlights on SportsCenter).

Also, I kept those guides for nearly a decade after each draft. Why? Because, I would go back & reread them... and see just how accurate the guides were. Some were pretty close (Ourlads), while others were dead wrong (Sporting News). BUT, none were ever 100% accurate; on their best year, they were right on only 40% of the picks (although, they would often be around 60% on how good or bad a player would be).

Now that there is the internet, YouTube highlights, and nearly a hundred different mock draft sites, there is not need to spend the $25 per guide. Likewise, with college football being so popular, I am now able to see most (75%) of the first rounders play in at least one game per season.

Anyway, Yes, it's like Christmas... only better. Or, as I said in another thread:
Christmas : little boys :: NFL draft : grown men
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
ETL (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,619 Times in 917 Posts

Dang... the first Steeler game I watched was in the 50s.... ( yes there was Steeler Football prior to Chuck Noll) in black and white. For all the gripes that get posted about Cowher, and how bad Tomlin is with his in game decisions, you all would have loved Mike Nixon, and Bill Austin. Buddy Parker was a capricious nut case that tried to cut the entire team on a flight back from a pre-season game.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, being an old fossil, it's not so bad. You can go out without shaving, holes in your jeans, or your zipper down.... nobody notices or cares much. Yeah, you have some aches and pains, but then again, nobody calls you up at 3:00 in the morning to move a refrigerator either.

Then there is God greatest revenge for having children, grandchildren, whom you get to spoil rotten, and then play them off your kids, who are wondering why the heck you weren't like that when they were growing up, and all the while you get to sit back and say, "See??"

The best part of aging is along with a dimming memory, you tend to forget a lot of the unpleasantness of life, remembering only the parts you found rewarding, enriching, and the love you shared and got back in return.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-23-2013), ETL (04-23-2013), fer522 (04-23-2013), harrison'samonster (04-23-2013), Ricco Suavez (04-23-2013), steeltheone (04-23-2013), teegre (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

the draft is this Thursday?

why didn't anyone tell me?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
the draft is this Thursday?

why didn't anyone tell me?
I wondered what all of that buzz was on ESPN. I had just figured that Prince Andrew had just gotten a new Labradoodle, and that he was going to announce the name on Thursday night.

The draft... who woulda known.

()
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Dang... the first Steeler game I watched was in the 50s.... ( yes there was Steeler Football prior to Chuck Noll) in black and white. For all the gripes that get posted about Cowher, and how bad Tomlin is with his in game decisions, you all would have loved Mike Nixon, and Bill Austin. Buddy Parker was a capricious nut case that tried to cut the entire team on a flight back from a pre-season game.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, being an old fossil, it's not so bad. You can go out without shaving, holes in your jeans, or your zipper down.... nobody notices or cares much. Yeah, you have some aches and pains, but then again, nobody calls you up at 3:00 in the morning to move a refrigerator either.

Then there is God greatest revenge for having children, grandchildren, whom you get to spoil rotten, and then play them off your kids, who are wondering why the heck you weren't like that when they were growing up, and all the while you get to sit back and say, "See??"

The best part of aging is along with a dimming memory, you tend to forget a lot of the unpleasantness of life, remembering only the parts you found rewarding, enriching, and the love you shared and got back in return.
THAT was a great post!!! It made me laugh... and smile. Well stated... and so, so true. Great, great post.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,619 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
THAT was a great post!!! It made me laugh... and smile. Well stated... and so, so true. Great, great post.
Being honest and in the spirit of full disclosure, I sort of lifted the observation about the grandchildren from Bill Cosby after a fashion.....

But also let it be known, my wife is the epitome of what I described. She puts up with so much crap she would NEVER have tolerated from our two sons. Me?? I'm just an old fart that just smiles, shaking my head going "What????"

Anyway. thanks for the nice words..
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-23-2013)