Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default Re: James Harrison making less with Bengals (Less than 'with' Steelers pay cut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersRush View Post
The Silverback played in a 4-3 art Kent State. Was he successful? Ask Ben.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...cesses-510121/
That was almost 12 years ago. He's not the same youthful kid. Plus after all that time he's prob really rusty at the 4-3 scheme. Maybe even almost as he's starting to learn it for the first time.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
SteelersRush
Water Boy

Member Number: 3207
Default Re: James Harrison making less with Bengals (Less than 'with' Steelers pay cut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
That was almost 12 years ago. He's not the same youthful kid. Plus after all that time he's prob really rusty at the 4-3 scheme. Maybe even almost as he's starting to learn it for the first time.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. "there is no monster under the bed, there is no monster under the bed". We'll see. I look forward to our games against the Bungles even more now.
SteelersRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,546 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Greed. Ego. Bengals.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Boy, do I really hope that all the "Steeler Fans" bagging on James all over the web are correct, because I have a feeling that he's not quite done wrecking house. This, unfortunately, might actually be just what the Bungholes need, to go along with a young and developing offense. I'm not throwing the Steelers under the bus by a long shot, but we might have a really hard time winning the division this coming year.

And, just to provide an example of something like this happening before, while not saying the chances of it are good, a similar deal went down with another #92, Reggie White. While he and James play fairly different positions, they are both giant threats on defense, more specifically in pressuring the QB. So, way back in 1993 (exactly 20 years ago) Reggie signed with Green Bay (from the Eagles) at the ripe old age of 32, but nicely complimented the young and developing offense led by the now-legendary Brett Favre. He was instrumental 4 years later in 1997, and at age 36, when the Packers won the SB. The following year he won DPOY, when the Packers again went to the Super Bowl, this time losing to the Elway led Broncos.

Can lightning like this strike twice? I don't even know which way to hope for.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
desertsteel
Head Coach

Member Number: 915
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
wait...why isn't he a 4-3 guy? Because that's what you hear from 'experts' or because he has only played in that scheme? To me, he is very stout against the run and a great pass rusher. What do you think makes a good 4-3 DE?

I think he gets double digit sacks next season. I think Harrison went to Cinci on general principle. He's made lots of money and performed very well for the Steelers for years. He felt they owed him. They disagreed. The fact that he signed w/the Bungles backs this up. He could have waited and gotten a better one year incentive laden deal. But then he may not be able to play us twice. I'm also pretty sure that if he shows he is healthy and produces, that second year is going to be thrown out when they do a longer deal. I view it as a one year, show me you are over your injuries before we commit to too much money deal.
Lol. He wasn't getting a better deal! Who is this, his agent?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

Quote:
wait...why isn't he a 4-3 guy? Because that's what you hear from 'experts' or because he has only played in that scheme? To me, he is very stout against the run and a great pass rusher. What do you think makes a good 4-3 DE? .
He can't contain the edge anymore on rushing plays, and is a liability when he's in coverage. in a 4-3 the defense relies much more on their ends to rush the passer, so unless they convert him (stupid because he needs the extra time and distance to get under and around his blocker) or use token formations for him to rush, he's not going to be nearly as productive with the bengals. Just because he was great at a div 2 school when he was 20 doesn't mean he's going to have success when he's much older and in the nfl after years of familiarity with lebeau's scheme.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

F Jim Harrison and his agent.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Lol. He wasn't getting a better deal! Who is this, his agent?
who knows, not me, not you. But if he was looking for multiple years, maybe that threw teams off. If he was willing for a one year deal maybe it would have been better. But like I said, he might not care so much. He's made his money. Maybe sticking it to us next season mean a lot to him. I still see him doing well and this contract getting ripped up after this season.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,431 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
He could have waited and gotten a better one year incentive laden deal. But then he may not be able to play us twice.
He had NO other teams interested in him. NONE. The bottom line is he gambled that he could get a better deal than the Steelers offered him and lost.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,481 Times in 3,552 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

good for him, he shoulda took the money when we offered
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
defence (04-25-2013)