Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Report: Pittsburgh Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the Seventeenth Overa

There has been a lot of speculation surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers first selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, but even so there is still not much consensus about who the Steelers will target with that first pick. Draft experts have been targeting Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones for a long time and he does make sense for the Steelers, but will he be their top player on the board at seventeen?

Well, according to Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com the Steelers have zeroed in on Jones. Ken Laird of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted out the following:

@DraftCampbell said sources told him the #Steelers have zeroed in on Jarvis Jones for their pick at 17 w/ Cordarrelle Patterson contingency
10:01 AM - 24 Apr 2013

If true that means the Steelers are set on Jones at seventeen and if gone they will look at Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. It will be interesting to see where they go if both players are gone when they select at seventeen, but at this point most believe that both will be on the board when the Steelers make their first selection tomorrow night.

The Steelers are in need of depth at outside linebacker after the release of James Harrison, but it may not be enough of a pressing need to address in the first round. However, with the top safety and offensive lineman expected to be off the board when the Steelers are put on the clock later this month Jones may be the Steelers best option in the first round. The team will also be looking at running backs in this draft and will need to find depth at safety, inside linebacker, wide receiver and on the offensive line. Luckily for them this draft is very deep at safety, inside linebacker and wide receiver.

The depth at those other positions would allow the Steelers to draft a top-flight outside linebacker like Jones in the first round of the draft and wait until the middle rounds to draft for those other positions. There are worries about Jones’ workouts and medical history. However, Jones plays much faster on tape than his 4.9 forty times that he put up at Georgia’s pro day. In fact, Jones was one of the most dominant defensive players in the SEC which is commonly considered the most competitive and best conference in college football.

Looking at Jones stats is one of the most intriguing things about him as a prospect. He has the disruptive nature that made James Harrison as force when he first became a starter in the NFL. Over the past two years for Georgia Jones accumulated 28 sacks and 44 tackles for loss. He also had 96 tackles, seven forced fumbles and six pass deflections making him a two-time first team All-American and the 2012 SEC defensive player of the year.

As for Patterson he provides a very dynamic offensive weapon that is sure to make Todd Haley giddy. Patterson can line up at running back or any wide receiver position. Patterson has 4.4 speed even though he stands at 6’2″ and 220 pounds. Another benefit of Patterson is his ability to return punts and kicks. The Steelers are in need of a kick returner after cutting Chris Rainey for off-field issues.

Patterson only played one season of Division I football at Tennessee after transferring from a Junior College, but he was one of the top play-makers in the SEC in 2012. After only one season in the SEC Patterson holds the record for scoring a touchdown in four different ways in the same season. He scored on a catch, run, kick return and punt return. Patterson also connected on one pass on a receiver reverse and was about five more yards away from adding a passing touchdown to that list.
Todd Haley utilized Dexter McCluster with the Kansas City Chiefs at multiple different positions. McCluster is used as a running back, receiver and kick returner for the Chiefs and ran 4.42 during pre-draft workouts. Basically the Steelers are looking at Patterson as a taller (6’2″ vs 5’11″) and stronger (220 pounds vs 175 pounds) McCluster who has the speed and vision to make plays in the open field whether in the run game, passing game, or as a kick/punt returner.

One of the biggest issues scouts have with Patterson is drops. However, if you watch a lot of his game tape at Tennessee you will see passes thrown over his head, behind him, and into the dirt making me wonder more so why the Steelers are so high on Tyler Bray than anything against Patterson. In 2012 Patterson caught 95.8% of catch-able balls for a 4.2% drop rate which would have been better than Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace last season. Catch-able balls include balls that hit the receiver in the hands and if you watch his tape you will see him attempt multiple circus catches some of which he makes and some he doesn’t. With a more accurate and better quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger he should be even better and that drop rate should go down.

http://steelblitz.com/report-pittsbu...all-pick/3080/
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,574 Times in 8,908 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Report: Pittsburgh Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the Seventeenth O

Ugh.

I am not a fan of Dez Bry- er Cordy Patterson. Ugh, ugh, ugh.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Varg
Water Boy

Member Number: 24834
Default Re: Report: Pittsburgh Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the Seventeenth O

Is this Patterson WR any good? I've just been hearing ALOT of negative stuff about him. I just can't imagine we would bite on a player like that. Jones would be "Okay" though I wouldn't be happy with the pick, seeing his age and spinal questions really turns me off with him.
Varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,574 Times in 8,908 Posts
My Mood: Dead

The good news. The last time that the Steelers were so obvious with their pick, the NYJets traded up & stole him.

Pleeease, someone take Patterson before 17.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (04-24-2013), tanda10506 (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Ugh.

I am not a fan of Dez Bry- er Cordy Patterson. Ugh, ugh, ugh.
Me to....I read this and was like urgggghhhhhhh.

I really don't like either. To me they are risky picks......but thn gain they both could pro bowlers every year.

I hope we go a different route but in Colbert I trust.

Plus maybe it a smoke screen to get teams to trade up. Let hope it's this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
Steel_Bus_24 (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

Both are great prospects, but hey, what do the experts know? Let's sit here and criticize a guy for being 23 instead of the typical 21 or 22, or for having "spinal issues" that were proven by several dozen medical experts to have been a misdiagnosis. Or criticize a guy who is one of the most dynamic players with the ball in his hands that we've seen in a while because he's a little rough around the edges.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Both are great prospects, but hey, what do the experts know? Let's sit here and criticize a guy for being 23 instead of the typical 21 or 22, or for having "spinal issues" that were proven by several dozen medical experts to have been a misdiagnosis. Or criticize a guy who is one of the most dynamic players with the ball in his hands that we've seen in a while because he's a little rough around the edges.
Well.....

Jones is poor against the run something he will need to be good at on the right side

Patterson s biggest concern is his ability to run routes ( doesn't know the full route tree very well ) and his ablility to read defenses and coverages. Those are pretty important.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,179 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Why all the hate against Patterson?? Yeah he is raw but come on id rather have him then Jarvis Jones....
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

That's because Patterson is incredibly raw. You can teach a guy the route tree and help him break down film. You can't teach his natural athletic talent.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
DevinX43 (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
That's because Patterson is incredibly raw. You can teach a guy the route tree and help him break down film. You can't teach his natural athletic talent.
So incredibly raw usually means a 2 year learning curve. We need to win now while we got Ben in is prime.

I'd rather have patterson than jones don't get me wrong. I understand his ability but there is more risked evolved with him than other prospects at 17 overall.