Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #111
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,153 Posts
Default Re: NBA center Jason Collins just came out

Quote:
Enough of the baiting. This goes for everyone. Final warning.

Well, we're handing on 30-day vacations from this point on, so I hope it's worth it.
Fair warning the same applies here also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #112
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,063 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Fair warning the same applies here also.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #113
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I see taunting!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (04-30-2013), Buddha Bus (04-30-2013), MACH1 (04-30-2013), SteelCityMom (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #114
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,534 Times in 2,680 Posts
My Mood: Sad

Billy is kicking me

All generalizations are dangerous.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #115
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Vis needs whacked too

Last edited by Fire Haley; 04-30-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #116
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

[YOUTUBE]clM1i88s-7Q[/YOUTUBE]

Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #117
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,941 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default My two cents

The Wallace thread got closed, as I was typing this... and I'd like to add a little to the conversation.

Mods, feel free to close this... but, since I had written it... I figured I'd post it.

SIN...
First of all, it is not my place to state whether something is or is not a sin. Whether I think that "being gay" is a sin is not important to the discussion. For the Atheiests, it's not a sin; for the Cathloics, it is a sin. Who am I to tell anynone else what is or is not a sin???

With that out of the way, let's assume that one's religion does indeed believe that "being gay" is a sin. Again, let's assume that it is a "sin" (I am not at all saying that this is true, but saying this for argument's sake). Well, using a religion that I know a little about (Chrisitanity), I want to bring up a few major points from that religion.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Assuming it's a sin... who are YOU to judge anyone else? That is for God & God alone ...right?

"Let ye without sin cast the first stone."
I guess that we'll be waiting a long time...

Most importantly, (assuming that "being gay" is a sin) please, someone tell me how "being gay" is any more or less of a sin that premarital sex? I am sure that there are plenty of people (specifically, professional athletes) who have had premarital sex... and yet, they are not being harangued as sinners.

How about "coveting thy neighbor's wife"? I am sure that every single one of us has looked at a picture of some woman (or man) other than our wife (or husband) in a lascivious manner. Is that not a sin? And, before you tell me that it is a "minor sin", it is one the effing Commandmentsl; so I'd say it's pretty effing major. Likewise, "taking then Lord's name in vain"... who is not guilty of that!?! Or, how about "Keeping the sabbath holy"... uh... football is played on the sabbath. so, aren't ALL football players sinners???

Yep, looks like we are all sinning... a lot. So, put down the stones.

SUMMATION:
Can we move past the whole "being gay is a sin" thing???

FREEDOM OF SPEECH...
People state their opinion on gayness, and then cry foul: "I have the freedom of speech."

Indeed, you do.

But, why comment at all?

A man is gay.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being gay."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is black.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being black."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is white.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being white."
Why say anything, Joe?

In other words, people are commenting on this situation & saying, "Wallace was only stating his opinion... just like the gay said that he is gay." NO, it isdifferent. The gay person is saying that he is gay... because he is gay; it is not his opinion. Just like if a black dude says that he is black, or a white dude says that he is white; it's not an opinion.

More importantly, if Joe Wright were to state, "I hate n*ggers" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called a racist. Likewise, when Joe Wright states that he "dispaproves of gays" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called intolerant.

Again... being gay is not his opinion; it is who he is. It would be like someone saying that they are white or black or whatever... it is who they are.

As far as the whole "it's not fair that white people can get ridiculed"... come on man!!! As Chris Rock stated, "Here's how good it is to be white: there's not a white person in here that would switch places with me... and I'm RICH!!!"

Actually, even better is Louis CK's rant about how great it is to be white. It's funny... because, it's true. ("White people problems"... like being called names on an internet forum.)

SUMMATION:
Opinion ("I don't like gays") is different that stating who you are ("I am gay").

A person has the freedom of speech to air their opinions, but other people have the freedom to disagree with those opinions.

Sooo... why don't we all just keeps our comments to ourselves!?!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-30-2013), fer522 (04-30-2013), SH-Rock (04-30-2013), The_Joker (04-30-2013), Vis (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #118
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts
Default Re: My two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The Wallace thread got closed, as I was typing this... and I'd like to add a little to the conversation.

Mods, feel free to close this... but, since I had written it... I figured I'd post it.

SIN...
First of all, it is not my place to state whether something is or is not a sin. Whether I think that "being gay" is a sin is not important to the discussion. For the Atheiests, it's not a sin; for the Cathloics, it is a sin. Who am I to tell anynone else what is or is not a sin???

With that out of the way, let's assume that one's religion does indeed believe that "being gay" is a sin. Again, let's assume that it is a "sin" (I am not at all saying that this is true, but saying this for argument's sake). Well, using a religion that I know a little about (Chrisitanity), I want to bring up a few major points from that religion.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Assuming it's a sin... who are YOU to judge anyone else? That is for God & God alone ...right?

"Let ye without sin cast the first stone."
I guess that we'll be waiting a long time...

Most importantly, (assuming that "being gay" is a sin) please, someone tell me how "being gay" is any more or less of a sin that premarital sex? I am sure that there are plenty of people (specifically, professional athletes) who have had premarital sex... and yet, they are not being harangued as sinners.

How about "coveting thy neighbor's wife"? I am sure that every single one of us has looked at a picture of some woman (or man) other than our wife (or husband) in a lascivious manner. Is that not a sin? And, before you tell me that it is a "minor sin", it is one the effing Commandmentsl; so I'd say it's pretty effing major. Likewise, "taking then Lord's name in vain"... who is not guilty of that!?! Or, how about "Keeping the sabbath holy"... uh... football is played on the sabbath. so, aren't ALL football players sinners???

Yep, looks like we are all sinning... a lot. So, put down the stones.

SUMMATION:
Can we move past the whole "being gay is a sin" thing???

FREEDOM OF SPEECH...
People state their opinion on gayness, and then cry foul: "I have the freedom of speech."

Indeed, you do.

But, why comment at all?

A man is gay.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being gay."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is black.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being black."
Why say anything, Joe?

A man is white.
Joe Wright says, "I don't approve of being white."
Why say anything, Joe?

In other words, people are commenting on this situation & saying, "Wallace was only stating his opinion... just like the gay said that he is gay." NO, it isdifferent. The gay person is saying that he is gay... because he is gay; it is not his opinion. Just like if a black dude says that he is black, or a white dude says that he is white; it's not an opinion.

More importantly, if Joe Wright were to state, "I hate n*ggers" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called a racist. Likewise, when Joe Wright states that he "dispaproves of gays" he has the right to make that statement; he has the freedom of speech to say it; but, he sure as hell better be prepared to be called intolerant.

Again... being gay is not his opinion; it is who he is. It would be like someone saying that they are white or black or whatever... it is who they are.

As far as the whole "it's not fair that white people can get ridiculed"... come on man!!! As Chris Rock stated, "Here's how good it is to be white: there's not a white person in here that would switch places with me... and I'm RICH!!!"

Actually, even better is Louis CK's rant about how great it is to be white. It's funny... because, it's true. ("White people problems"... like being called names on an internet forum.)

SUMMATION:
Opinion ("I don't like gays") is different that stating who you are ("I am gay").

A person has the freedom of speech to air their opinions, but other people have the freedom to disagree with those opinions.

Sooo... why don't we all just keeps our comments to ourselves!?!
No.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #119
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

The worst sin may just be quoting the entirety of a lengthy post to respond with one word.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-30-2013), teegre (04-30-2013), The_Joker (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #120
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,063 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Good thing I don't believe in a metaphysical sin :D