Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default What if.

......Ben didn`t make the game saving tackle on the Bettis fumble? Would Jerome still have retired, or would he be still looking for that ring? I say he would have played one more season, he could not go out like that, a haal of fame career, and ends on a goal line fumble, trying to put the game away!
Whats your thoughts?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: What if.

He kind of alluded to that on the NBC game last weekend....

He would have come back....
Old 08-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,182 Times in 3,487 Posts

he said in the sunday broadcast (to madden and michaels) last weekend that he hadnt made up his mind to retire until the week of the sb. he said he dont think he couldve let his career end on that note and that he would probably have been back.

(yeah, what he said ^^^^^^)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

He'd retire.

The "Detroit Stage" had come and gone. Love the guy but 250 yard per season return on the investment probably ran its course. Not to mention what he had to go through every morning just to get out of bed.

It was time to think about being able to walk at age 50.

BTW Thank god he doesn't have that on his mind.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I know his mornings after were rough but I think the fumble\loss would have left a sour taste in Jerome's mouth. Being the competitor that he is, I would have to assume he would come back for another year.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think he would have come back but it would have been strickly short yardage and goal line situations. Maybe snow games too (i.e. Chicago last year)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

The BUS would of put the treads on one more year if it would of ended that way
No Doubt in my Mind....He would opf Played for peanutes but with what he made from endorsements he would of been fine. I just am still a little salty over the comments by him the first day of his new job. But I am getting over them.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I think he would have come back too with the talent we have and to have the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl.. If the Steelers had let everyone go and we were not going to be competitive.. then maybe not. But i couldnt see him allowing that to be the last highlight of his playing days. The guilt he would have had for himself, the Coaches, the fans, and most especially the Roony's I am sure would have made him come back and play for free lol lol

I dont agree though that he didnt have anything left in tank.. His 360 yards didnt seem like alot, but to think of when he ran people over ( Ulacher sp ) was something that you need to add about 50 yards on his totals when he did that. It gave the team a boost when he would come in and get those extra yards. the team, the fans... and i tink would have been well worth it to have him on the team again, i didnt want him to retire in the first place but was fitting for him to do so.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Hmmm.

Im going to buck the trend and say he wouldnt have come back for another season.

When you look at the fall-off in productivity over the last few years of his career its clear he would have been of neglibible value to the Steelers as a member of the 53.

941 yards down to 381 yards is a sizeable drop in production, and you also haven to factor in that the guy hasn't run for even 1000yards (which shouldn't even really be a bench mark in a 16 game season) for 4 consecutive seasons.

If Bettis had attempted to return he would have put Cowher in a horrible position - how do you cut a legend before has won his ring?

I think Cowher would have made the tough, yet correct decision and cut him.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
sculleyd
Water Boy

Member Number: 2382

I'm not so sure that Bettis would have been cut if he had come back. Who would have taken his roster spot? Let's look at the options:

1) Another running back? Seems unlikely. Last year we kept Parker, Staley, Haynes, Krieder and Bettis on the roster, and it's reasonable to think we'd go with 5 again this year if we can find 5 worthy of keeping. Kuhn and Humes have both looked good at different points this preseason, but neither so good that they'd oust Bettis from his role as Short Yardage Back. After all, nobody else has really stepped up into that role even without Bettis in camp. I think Cowher would love to have him around right now.

2) A wideout? We have some talent and numbers at the position, and will probably end up cutting at least one guy who can play in the NFL. But donating a spot at RB to keep an extra WR doesn't seem like a power football/Cowher football sort of decision.

3) A defensive position? We do have some tough cuts coming on defense, and it's possible that we'd take away a spot at RB in favor of one on the other side of the ball. But I don't see the Shaun Nua's of the team being a better bet than a man who consistently converts touchdowns from inside the 5. 7 is way better than 3, and Cowher knows it.

In short, if Bettis was to be cut, someone would have had to beat him out, and I don't see that happening. That being said, I'm glad that he was able to retire on top, and I'm happy for him that he won't be putting another year of wear and tear on his body. He went above and beyond for so many years as it was.

Thank you, Bus!