Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305
Default Re: What if.

If Bettis was coming back, we wouldnt have drafted a RB and his 360 yards was because parker was hurt and was the main man.. Bettis was a role player which is what Staley/ Humes/ haynes all will be this year... I dont think anyone expected Bettis to gain 1000 yards nor was he called upon to take over games.. He was Parkers back up. When Staleywent down after the 7th game bettis was needed to carry the load and he did that. I seem to think he could still do that if needed. No reason to draft Humes if Bettis was coming back and at this point.. Staley would be 3rd string
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I see, so Humes is able to do the job Bettis did last year is he?

A 7th round back?

Either the job Bettis did last year wasn't so huge, or there is no way an unproven scrub could come in and replace him.

I think its pretty likely that Humes doesn't even make team this year, let alone if Bettis was here.

RB is the most easily translatable position to the NFL from college - what has Humes shown apart from the ability to be slow?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

If Ben hadn't made the game saving tackle, he would've had enough time to quickly lead the Steelers down the field for a game winning TD. (I was actually hoping Harper took it back for a TD at the time.)
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

What if....?

What if the ruling on the field stands and Troy's interception was good? Likely the Steelers would have marched down the field and opened an even bigger lead. 28 - 10 right? That would have probably meant that Jerome's fumble would have never happened.

Who knows... Perhaps if the interception was good then maybe Ben throws a pick of his own that is run back for a touchdown. THen there's an onside kick and the Colts get it back to win the game.... ehhh... It's all hindsight and guessing.

Bottom line... The better team did win that game.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
What if ......Ben didn`t make the game saving tackle on the Bettis fumble? Would Jerome still have retired, or would he be still looking for that ring?
If Ben hadn't made that tackle, we'd have been down by 4 points with about 1 1/2 minutes left. Who's to say that Ben wouldn't have driven the offense down the field for a TD in that 1 1/2 minutes? My suggestion is that if Ben hadn't made that tackle, Jerome still would have retired....WITH the ring!
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #16
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I see, so Humes is able to do the job Bettis did last year is he?

A 7th round back?

Either the job Bettis did last year wasn't so huge, or there is no way an unproven scrub could come in and replace him.

I think its pretty likely that Humes doesn't even make team this year, let alone if Bettis was here.

RB is the most easily translatable position to the NFL from college - what has Humes shown apart from the ability to be slow?

NM
Steve Young chimed in on this last year saying how great the Rooneys were to retain a -player obviously past his prime. The Bettis factor was highly diplomatic. And the risk paid off.

Humes should be cut. But I completely disagree about the RB being the most easily translatable position. Really! I watched Humes in Va Tech games and I was very very underwhelmed. Same with Addai at LSU.

Wide receiver is the most translatable in my opinion if you factor in what round you get the player. For example Ward in the 3rd round and now Reid.

Humes might be around because Duce is done. But we got him for free. So we don't lose anything.

Unlike sending Willie McGinnest to pasture only to sign the guy he replaced in college.

Looks like the Pats are going pre-historic. Now THAT is the past.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #17
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity984 View Post
If Ben hadn't made the game saving tackle, he would've had enough time to quickly lead the Steelers down the field for a game winning TD. (I was actually hoping Harper took it back for a TD at the time.)
Joking right? You WANTED THE COLTS TO SCORE!!!!!!!!!

I was reaching for the cyanide. I thought without a doubt the NFL was fixing the game after the most bizarre sequence in football I have ever witnessed.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #18
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

i stood with my mouth open cause i was about ready to go nuts as soon as Bettis scored that touchdown and do my little dance ( i wont descrive my Steeler dance ) but then all the sudden that ball popped out and i just stood there in amazement with my mouth wide open watching that play transform. Was the opposite of " The Immacualte Reception" as far as what happened on the play.. but will definately be one of those plays that i will never forget and when i am old and in a nursing home tellin the nurse all about it over and over regardless if she saw it or not or if she wants to hear it. Complete craziness.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:50 AM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Steve Young chimed in on this last year saying how great the Rooneys were to retain a -player obviously past his prime. The Bettis factor was highly diplomatic. And the risk paid off.

Humes should be cut. But I completely disagree about the RB being the most easily translatable position. Really! I watched Humes in Va Tech games and I was very very underwhelmed. Same with Addai at LSU.

Wide receiver is the most translatable in my opinion if you factor in what round you get the player. For example Ward in the 3rd round and now Reid.

Humes might be around because Duce is done. But we got him for free. So we don't lose anything.

Unlike sending Willie McGinnest to pasture only to sign the guy he replaced in college.

Looks like the Pats are going pre-historic. Now THAT is the past.
When I say 'translatable' I mean that the skills a player shows as RB need the least work when he starts as a pro.

By comparison, wide receivers take upto 3 years to fully translate their talent from college into production in the NFL.

So, if a guy shows nothing early in his career as an RB, then the odds are that he will never have much to offer at that level.

I fail to see the link between Willie McG and Jerome Bettis' retirement.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Hmmm.

Im going to buck the trend and say he wouldnt have come back for another season.

When you look at the fall-off in productivity over the last few years of his career its clear he would have been of neglibible value to the Steelers as a member of the 53.

941 yards down to 381 yards is a sizeable drop in production, and you also haven to factor in that the guy hasn't run for even 1000yards (which shouldn't even really be a bench mark in a 16 game season) for 4 consecutive seasons.

If Bettis had attempted to return he would have put Cowher in a horrible position - how do you cut a legend before has won his ring?

I think Cowher would have made the tough, yet correct decision and cut him.

NM
While I have to say that I am leaning towards Jerome not coming back for yet another season, I don't agree at all with your reasoning.

The Bus now has a little girl to look forward to raising. He also just got married a few months back and his priorities in life are now a little different. His time constaints now with his new position as an analyst won't interfere as much with his family time as continuing his football career would have continued to do. Jerome is all about family - very devoted and loving father and husband.

I don't believe for one minute that Cowher would have cut him had he returned this season. He was one of the team leaders and his role on the team changed over the last couple of years and especially with the emergence of Willie Parker. He may have "only" had 368 yards last season, but I think his 35 TD's in the regular season over the last 4 year were far more valuable to the team than the number of yards he gained on the ground. Jerome also picked up a lot of key first downs for us last season which was part of his new role on the offensive unit.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote