Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,789 Times in 999 Posts
Default Re: Wexell: What about the OL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
For this O-line, that IS a stalwart. LOL... ugh.
You know that's going to be on Foster's NFL Epitaph: "I didn't get hurt much"
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-04-2013), lloydwoodson (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
He may not be credited with giving up a lot of sacks like our tackles, but he does give up a fair about of ground. Think of it this way, do you ever see Ben step up in the pocket much?.

As for run blocking, the assumption of him moving to LG means he's going to be running our counter pike 10-12 rimes a game. That is the one where he moves to his right and makes a trap block at off RG. Frankly he's too slow, and does not block well in space.

This play has been our bread and butter running play since the Ron Erhardt days. If he starts at LG, we will not be running it much.
You've been giving good insight lately, Dave. I agree that having Foster pull frequently is unlikely. Arians ran that play to death anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see a TE or OL drafted first next year. It will be one of those positions unless a WR drops imo. I think the Steelers return to a dominant OL is in the works. There is a solid core of Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams to build on. The future looks bright.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
TheVet (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

My beefs about this line are well documented...Decastro, Adams, and Pouncey is a good Core...i need to see Gilbert not injure any more teammates to be sold on him
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (05-01-2013), TheVet (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,789 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
You've been giving good insight lately, Dave. I agree that having Foster pull frequently is unlikely. Arians ran that play to death anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see a TE or OL drafted first next year. It will be one of those positions unless a WR drops imo. I think the Steelers return to a dominant OL is in the works. There is a solid core of Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams to build on. The future looks bright.
I agree. Arians did run it to death. I suspect that was because he has no clue how to, and or use for running the football.

That play looked a whole lot better when Malarkey ran the pants off of it with Bettis running behind Al Faneca.... JMO..

I also agree that we are puting together a solid line. To bad Cooper wasn't there for us at 17. Adams and Gilbert just need a little more time in the saddle, and don't be surprised if and when it clicks for Adams, that he sends Gilbert back to the right side. DeCastro and Pouncey are the real deal.

Heaven help us if any of these kids get hurt. Our depth puting it politely, sucks.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
TheVet (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Four O-linemen drafted in R1 or R2 in the past three drafts. Plus a stalwart (Foster), and a promising player (Beachum).

That's six.

They usually only carry eight (or nine). Add Madsen, Embernate, & Golic #2... and the O-line is set.
say what?

10 wide everytime,

linemen i dont need no stinking linemen
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
teegre (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,043 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
say what?

10 wide everytime,

linemen i dont need no stinking linemen
Linemen are for yinzers! Fire all linemen!
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
teegre (05-01-2013), The_Joker (05-04-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,806 Times in 4,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
That play looked a whole lot better when Malarkey ran the pants off of it with Bettis running behind Al Faneca.... JMO..

not just your opinion...

G-Power has long been our bread n butter play and would work even when the opposition knew it was coming.

faneca was a master. bettis was a beast as was having a FB like kreider. breuner and hines ward were the best blocking TE & WR in the game.

never mind the fact that kordell was a QB threat to run on every single play.

[YOUTUBE]K9fd7d1Gpo8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,955 Times in 5,339 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Training camp positional battles: Steelers need a backup center.

By SteelCityRoller on May 1 2013

It actually isn't enough to have one of, if not the best players in the entire league anchoring the offensive line. Pittsburgh needs another center.

While most spectators at training camp will be watching the battles for the starting spots, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be more concerned with finding their reserves.

In the past, the team has been able to rely on Doug Legursky to backup not only the guard slots, but also at center behind Maurkice Pouncey. Legursky was never able to lock down any starting positions when they became available, but he was more than serviceable in place of Pouncey. Legursky started in Pouncey's stead in Super Bowl XLV, the loss to the Green Bay Packers.

With Legursky no longer on the team, the Steelers will have to find a new insurance policy. Pouncey hasn't exactly been injury prone during his NFL career, but he has missed important time to repeated ankle and leg injuries. In 2012, having a qualified backup center in Legursky allowed the Steelers to move Pouncey to guard, as the team scrambled to address the loss of Willie Colon to the trainer's table.

Exploring the roster exposes several possible candidate's to fill Legursky's shoes, but none of them invoke the same confidence as their predecessor.

The first name which comes to mind is Kelvin Beachum, one of Pittsburgh's four seventh-round draft picks from 2012. However, the team currently wants to mold him into a guard, contrary to the tackle he was forced to play during the latter half of his rookie season. When Beachum was drafted, the coaches felt he had a "center's intelligence". Unfortunately, many took such a statement to mean they intended to make Beachum a center. They have never implied as such, and are not likely to force too much upon the transitioning Beachum.

The second most likely candidate would be John Malecki, who split time between the scout team and the active roster last season, playing only at guard. He is not a priority choice when setting the pecking order for either guard spot, but he obviously has enough talent to maintain the coaches' interest.

Beyond Beachum and Malecki, the remaining options come in the form of undrafted rookies. The team signed two collegiate centers - Ivory Wade, Baylor (6-4, 313) and Joe Madsen, West Virginia (6-3, 310). The Steelers may even consider one of their guard prospects for a positional change, like Justin Cheadle or Nik Embernate; however, considering the importance the reserve center has carried during Pouncey's tenure, the team will most likely want someone who is already experienced, needing only fine tuning.

Beachum and Malecki will maintain an advantage to win this role entering training camp, but a strong performance by one of the other candidates this preseason could just earn somebody a roster spot.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...rs-need-center
Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,955 Times in 5,339 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

the Steelers should definitely use some of their available resources to re-sign Max Starks after June 1st when additional cap space opens up from the release of Willie Colon...
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,753 Times in 3,232 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'm just hoping this will be the first time in 4 years we don't have all kinda crazy injuries on the OL. we were looking good last year until adams went down. running game suffered greatly at that point and didnt recover
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-04-2013)