Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Morey Hopes to Secure Job Tonight

'Invincible' Morey looking forward to Philadelphia

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 25, 2006

Although he can appreciate the Vince Papale saga more than most, Sean Morey maintains Hollywood got it right in deciding which little guy with the big heart to glorify.

"It's an amazing story," Morey said of "Invincible," which debuts today in theaters nationwide. "I can relate to some of the things he went through, but in no way is my story as cool as Vince Papale's."

Morey will be otherwise occupied tonight, when the Steelers meet the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

For Morey, the game represents another opportunity to establish himself as an irreplaceable part of the Steelers' special teams, something he's been the past two seasons, right through Super Bowl XL.

That's a long way from setting Ivy League receiving records at Brown, from being drafted in the seventh round and then released by New England in 1999 and from playing on practice squads and as a defensive back in Barcelona.

Papale, a Glenolden native, never played college football -- he accepted a track scholarship to St. Joseph's -- and made the jump to Eagles training camp from the WFL's Philadelphia Bell at age 30 through an open tryout.

"I thought there were a lot of parallels, not so much with his experience or with his career, but more so with the type of things he had to deal with -- not just physically, but emotionally," Morey said. "I was a hometown kid (from Marshfield, Mass.). I was drafted by the Patriots. I knew every player, and I looked up to them. And to have your locker next to Ben Coates and Terry Glenn, I mean, it's a culture shock.

"It took me a couple years just to get over being star-struck and play the game that I had played my whole life."

Papale was 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds. Morey is 5-foot-11, 200 pounds.

Papale was the first special teams captain in Eagles history. Morey and cornerback Chidi Iwuoma captained the Steelers' special teams last season.

Papale made one career catch (for 15 yards) and lasted three seasons. Morey has one career catch (for 8 yards) and hopes this season will be his fourth full NFL season.

He'll play tonight with a soft cast protecting a micro-fracture in his left thumb after missing last Saturday's preseason game against Minnesota.

He wants to win another Super Bowl, experience another parade and hone his receiving skills. But first, he has to make the team again.

"I've been cut more times than I like to admit," Morey said. "And I've done every single odd job in the world, from delivering furniture to working on fishing boats to building houses the years that I've been cut. And I did a lot of soul searching.

"I never gave up on it, and I continued to work, and I've been able to get into a position where I'm in the right place at the right time.

"But the only reason I've gotten to where I am today is because I've had that desire, that motivation to get a little bit better and to be hungry. I've been, to a flaw, sort of psychotic about that. I've always wanted to prove to people that I can play."

All he needs now is another happy ending.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_467669.html
Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Morey Hopes to Secure Job Tonight

Special teams.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

That was a really nice story, 83. I've always liked this guy on special teams and he has made several nice catches when thrown the ball, though he's made a few blunders, too - that happens to every WR out there. With the depth at WR this season, I really don't see Morey cracking the lineup much as a receiver, but he has and can make a difference on the STs. He's not big in stature, but he's a tough little critter.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Morey or Morgan ??? is coming down to crunch time ...
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07 View Post
That's a tough call. I have always been a Morey fan. Because of our depth at WR and Morgan's inabililty to consistently catch balls, my first inclination would be to lean towards Morey.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

number are against him....but Cowher LOVES these types of players...

should be interesting....
Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07 View Post
That's a tough call, Midnight. Morey is the better ST'er but Morgan was coming on nicely at the end of last season before he got injured and I feel he is the better wideout and offers more versatility than Morey. Hopefully, the Steelers will find a way to keep both of them.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote