Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #51
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,759 Times in 1,701 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Under-appreciated bands/musicians.

I listen to a little bit of everything. A couple of bands I listen to that don't seem to be quite as well known as I personally think they should be are Black Label Society and Queens of the Stone Age. BLS is metal, and Queens of the Stone Age are an Alternative group. If you guys haven't heard of them and you enjoy either of those genres I recommend checking them out. Been listening to BLS since I was a freshman in high school. Zakk Wylde is in my opinion one of the best guitar players alive. Same story with Queens of the Stone Age.

I do think they qualify as lesser known in my book because I ask friends about either group and very rarely does anyone know about either one of them. While they definitely aren't at local band unknown level, for bigger more mainstream bands they still seem lesser known than they should be.

Some of my favorite songs from each:

IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
pczach (06-09-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #52
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I listen to a little bit of everything. A couple of bands I listen to that don't seem to be quite as well known as I personally think they should be are Black Label Society and Queens of the Stone Age. BLS is metal, and Queens of the Stone Age are an Alternative group. If you guys haven't heard of them and you enjoy either of those genres I recommend checking them out. Been listening to BLS since I was a freshman in high school. Zakk Wylde is in my opinion one of the best guitar players alive. Same story with Queens of the Stone Age.

I do think they qualify as lesser known in my book because I ask friends about either group and very rarely does anyone know about either one of them. While they definitely aren't at local band unknown level, for bigger more mainstream bands they still seem lesser known than they should be.
What? You must have some low standards. Zakk Wylde brought the same formula to every song: play a few notes, then play artificial harmonics. He's easily one of the most overrated guitarists of our generation.

BLS isn't known anymore because Zakk got booted from Ozzy's band.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #53
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Beth Hart

silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #54
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

been spinning the new portugal album recently. Reminded me how much I fucking love this band. I almost never see them on year end lists or anything like that. they're too good.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #55
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

been listening to frightened rabbit's new ep and was reminded of how awesome they are. Midnight Organ Fight is one of my favorite album's ever

Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,818 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
What? You must have some low standards. Zakk Wylde brought the same formula to every song: play a few notes, then play artificial harmonics. He's easily one of the most overrated guitarists of our generation.

BLS isn't known anymore because Zakk got booted from Ozzy's band.
The dude can shred. That's what he does. He's not the best guitar player in the world by any stretch, but he is great at what he does.

Zakk wasn't booted from Ozzy's band. Ozzy actually encouraged him to go out on his own, because he knew he had his own followers, and that there was nothing more he could do just being "Ozzy's guitarist". Ozzy knew he could insert any competent guitarist into his own band and not miss anything, but he also believed that Zakk had enough of a following and personality to make it on his own.

Have you ever heard any of his stuff from Pride and Glory? That was his side project when he was with Ozzy. It's more of a southern rock feel, but I really like it. Check out some of their stuff.

Last edited by pczach; 06-09-2013 at 09:49 AM.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #57
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Here's a good band I stumbled across on iTunes one day. The Juke Joint Pimps are a fun band with some good toe-tapping songs and cool retro blues-boogie sound. They are only a 2-piece group which makes it even more amazing. Not only that... THEY'RE GERMAN! Some great party music for a gathering of friends.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #58
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Another band I dig is Lucero. They are a mix of alt rock, country, punk, and soul and hail from Memphis, Tennessee. This is one of a few bands I really want to see live and haven't yet. Check them out.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #59
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
The dude can shred. That's what he does. He's not the best guitar player in the world by any stretch, but he is great at what he does.

Zakk wasn't booted from Ozzy's band. Ozzy actually encouraged him to go out on his own, because he knew he had his own followers, and that there was nothing more he could do just being "Ozzy's guitarist". Ozzy knew he could insert any competent guitarist into his own band and not miss anything, but he also believed that Zakk had enough of a following and personality to make it on his own.

Have you ever heard any of his stuff from Pride and Glory? That was his side project when he was with Ozzy. It's more of a southern rock feel, but I really like it. Check out some of their stuff.]
Ozzy removed Zakk from the band because of his drinking. Gus G. is ten times the guitarist Zakk will ever be. And Randy Rhoads was 100X even that.

I'm not really one for southern rock, but regardless, I can't get into Zakk. His playing was formulaic and uninspired, and his first couple of albums with Ozzy were pretty good, but then he devolved into the "Let's make this MY band" mentality and everything began sounding the same.

His artificial harmonics make my ears bleed.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #60
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,759 Times in 1,701 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Ozzy removed Zakk from the band because of his drinking. Gus G. is ten times the guitarist Zakk will ever be. And Randy Rhoads was 100X even that.

I'm not really one for southern rock, but regardless, I can't get into Zakk. His playing was formulaic and uninspired, and his first couple of albums with Ozzy were pretty good, but then he devolved into the "Let's make this MY band" mentality and everything began sounding the same.

His artificial harmonics make my ears bleed.
I couldn't possibly disagree with everything you've said any more than I do now. You assume I have low standards because I'm a BLS fan and it's my opinion that Zakk Wylde is one of the greatest guitar players alive? How ludicrously small-minded of you. Sorry I don't like exactly what you like but I fail to see how you can draw such a conclusion about my musical tastes because I posted about two bands I like on a forum. Look at the two bands I suggested. They're like polar opposites. That should tell you that my tastes in music are rather broad. I listen to everything from Classic Rock, Metal, and Alternative to Dubstep, Country, and Classical music. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to music. I don't fancy myself some type of audiophile tossing about silly terminology like "formulaic", and "artifical harmonics" to make myself seem more musically enlightened than others and then throw out asinine assumptions about the simplicity of other people's musical tastes.

Oh and how dare you Zakk Wylde for wanting to make your own identity and your own music! Don't you know you're supposed to just sit in Ozzy's shadow?

SDMF Berzerker for Life!

Yep Zakk's not very good. I suppose that's why he was #18 on Guitar World's Top 100 list. I suppose this isn't very good either

Zakk isn't the best, I'm not saying that. I'd have Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy Rhoads, and Eddie Van Halen ahead of him. Probably some others as well.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 06-18-2013 at 07:53 AM.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote