Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,059 Times in 931 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Ex-Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith gets six years in prison

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT

Jimmy Smith, a five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver who is arguably the best player in the short history of the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise, recently began serving a six-year prison sentence for gun and drug crimes.

Although it has gone largely unnoticed in the media, Smith has been in prison in Mississippi since March 29, and his tentative release date is November 8, 2018.

Smith was sentenced to four years in prison for possession of cocaine and two years in prison for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Itís sad to see anyone end up like this, but itís particularly sad for Smith because his NFL career ought to be an inspirational story of a guy who believed in himself when few others did ó and was proven right. He played his college ball at Jackson State after no big-time schools gave him a look coming out of high school, and he persevered after his football career fizzled in his first three years in the NFL, with the Cowboys cutting him in 1993 and the Eagles cutting him in 1994. Through his first three years in the NFL, he hadnít caught a single pass.

But when the expansion Jaguars picked Smith up in 1995, he became a star: He lasted 11 years in Jacksonville and topped 1,000 yards in nine of those seasons, and by the end of his career he had totaled 862 catches for 12,287 yards and 67 touchdowns. Unfortunately, off-field trouble also plagued Smith: He was arrested for drunk driving in 2001 and suspended four games in 2003 for a failed drug test. Now his drug problem has ensured that heíll be behind bars for a long time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ison/#comments
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,786 Times in 2,215 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Ex-Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith gets six years in prison

Way to screw up your life. I don't think it's sad at all. I have no pity for guys who do this stupid stuff.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Seems like it is more and more sports figures that are doing stuff like this.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

So many guys out there don't take into account of life after Football. What are you going to do next? You can't play forever.

When your body asks you to leave, the bright lights turn out, your close associates no longer want to be close to you, all you are left with is yourself and your memories. It's a real tough place to be in.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote