Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Delaware Becomes the 11th State to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

Delaware Becomes the 11th State to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

By ERIK ECKHOLM

Published: May 7, 2013

Delaware on Tuesday became the 11th state to permit same-sex marriage, the latest in a string of victories for those working to extend marital rights to gay and lesbian couples.

The marriage bill passed the State Senate by a vote of 12 to 9 Tuesday afternoon.
“It’s a great day in Delaware,” said Gov. Jack Markell, a Democrat, who signed it within minutes of passage before an overjoyed crowd of activists. “I am signing this bill now because I do not intend to make any of you wait one moment longer.”
Same-sex couples will be eligible for marriage licenses on July 1.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/us...iage.html?_r=0

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-08-2013), harrison'samonster (05-08-2013), Vis (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,912 Times in 868 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Delaware Becomes the 11th State to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

Amen!!!
harrison'samonster (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

Barf me out, gag me with a spoon! Horrible. Just horrible. What IS the USA coming to? Where have morals and values gone?

Sad day indeed in our history. Horrible.
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,201 Times in 2,159 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplovestroyp43 View Post
Barf me out, gag me with a spoon! Horrible. Just horrible. What IS the USA coming to? Where have morals and values gone?

Sad day indeed in our history. Horrible.
This country is becoming less bigoted. It will never turn back. Sure the KKK still exists just as religious bigots will still exist but their ability to impose their twisted values on the country has faded.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-08-2013), harrison'samonster (05-08-2013), JonM229 (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Praise the Lord!
Buddha Bus (05-08-2013), fer522 (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Ahhhhh... the sweet smell of evolution, humanity, and progress. Congrats, Delaware!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-08-2013), JonM229 (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013), Vis (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Long article

The French Parliament gave final approval to same-sex marriage on Tuesday, making France the fourteenth country in the world to have equal marriage rights nationwide. With a population of sixty-five million, it becomes the most populous country, and arguably the most politically significant, to do so. Christiane Taubira, the justice minister who sponsored the bill, proclaimed it “a generous law, and a law of equality.” Gay weddings could begin in France in June.

The new law had been a priority of France’s President, François Hollande, but was strongly opposed by the Catholic Church and other religious denominations. Over the past few months, there have been a series of contentious and sometimes violent competing demonstrations and marches in Paris, and French police were alert to the possibility of more violence from the ultra-right wing; there were reports of some clashes overnight.

One question now is how the movement toward recognition of same-sex marriage globally, and especially in Europe, mirrors what we are seeing here in the United States, where political assumptions about the topic are changing rapidly. At what point does momentum make the controversial seem obvious? Eight other countries in Europe allow gay marriage (the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Iceland, and Denmark), as do Canada, Argentina, and South Africa. Earlier this month, two other countries, New Zealand and Uruguay, passed same-sex-marriage legislation. The United Kingdom, too, is actively considering a similar bill, which is supported by the government there and seems headed for passage this year.

In this country, as more states recognize gay unions—and the Supreme Court considers two cases on marriage equality—still others are moving rapidly in that direction. In Rhode Island, a state Senate committee advanced a marriage-equality bill on Tuesday after all five Republicans announced their support. A vote by the full state Senate there is anticipated this week, followed by another in the House, which has already approved a similar bill. If, as predicted, it passes, Rhode Island will become the tenth state to have marriage equality. It would join the rest of the New England states (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont).

And Illinois, as I’ve written previously, is on the verge of adopting same-sex marriage. If it does, as expected, before the end of May, and before the Supreme Court decisions in June, it would be a big deal. It is not only a large state (fifth by population, with almost thirteen million people), it would be only the second state in the middle of the country to allow gay marriage (Iowa is the first). It would also be the second-largest state, after New York, to currently allow it. (California was, and would be again, the largest, if the Supreme Court strikes down Proposition 8, its gay-marriage ban)

In Illinois, prominent supporters like Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel are working hard to pass the bill; President Obama’s personal post-reëlection campaign committee is involved in the effort. Illinois Republican Senator Mark Kirk recently became only the second G.O.P. member of the Senate (after Ohio’s Senator Rob Portman) to endorse same-sex marriage, which was seen as a sign, among other things, that the state was about to enact a law. Even the head of the Republican Party in Illinois has announced his personal support—and he survived an attempt to oust him over his stance. Illinois’s Governor, Pat Quinn, a Democrat, has said that he would promptly sign the legislation.

Meanwhile, marriage legislation was recently introduced in Delaware, where Governor Jack Markell has advocated for and predicted passage. The Delaware house quickly passed the bill yesterday, and it now goes to the Senate. In Nevada, advocates recently began a multi-year process to amend the state’s constitution to remove the marriage ban. In Oregon, gay-marriage proponents are collecting signatures for a ballot initiative that would end its marriage restrictions. And advocates in New Mexico are trying to convince the courts there that current law does not restrict marriage to heterosexual couples.

And public opinion is continuing to move toward marriage equality. A new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll last week found that fifty-three per cent of Americans now favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry, a record high for that poll. The increases were led by Democrats and independents; the poll showed that twenty-seven per cent of Republicans now favor marriage rights.

That doesn’t mean the fight is over. At a recent meeting of the Republican National Committee, social conservatives still in control there were able to pass a resolution not only in opposition to same-sex marriage but asserting the constitutionality of DOMA. That action seemed a rebuke of the post-election R.N.C. “autopsy” report that suggested that Republicans reconsider their opposition. Ron Brownstein of the National Journal warned against being sanguine about a Republican transformation: “no one should underestimate the barriers to convergence [of state policy on gay marriage]. As more states tilt toward one or the other party, state policy is polarizing across many issues, from abortion to health care.” Similar conflicting trends were on display in Europe.

Still, political support for gay rights continues to gather momentum—according to a study for the Washington Post published earlier this month, in 2011 only fifteen U.S. Senators supported gay marriage. Today, fifty-one do. Obama’s announcement of his support is seen as a turning point. An analysis by Nate Silver for the Times, however, suggests that the overall rise in public support since 2006 has been more gradual and consistent, and did not necessarily accelerate over the past year. Silver has a model that predicts that by the next Presidential election, in 2016, a majority of voters in thirty-two of the fifty states will be supporters of same-sex marriage, including some purple and red states like Ohio, Nebraska, and North Dakota. This all suggests that there is a steady large-scale shift taking shape, which is likely to accelerate even further—here and abroad.

Most guesses about possible Supreme Court outcomes suggest that the growth of popular and political support would ease the reluctance, voiced by at least some of the Justices, to “getting ahead” of public opinion. There is also a scenario in which it has the opposite effect, persuading some Justices that the Court can ignore the constitutional issues and let the political process run its course. Progress toward marriage equality internationally could also affect some of the Justices, although there is a highly contentious left-right split on whether it is appropriate for the Supreme Court to look at international developments when formulating constitutional doctrine. The Court may feel that, far from getting ahead, it has fallen awkwardly behind not just the country but the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

as western democracies change the hold out red states will start losing bids for international manufacturing facilities.

Blue states will have changed. Swing states will be changing and becoming more blue because of this issue. But the flyover states will take financial incentive before they finally stop vilifying people

Last edited by Vis; 05-08-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I just find it rather entertaining, as well as dumbfounding, that a large segment of our population that purports to champion Constitutional rights and civil liberties when it comes to issues like the right to bear arms, privacy, freedom of religion, and free speech can, in good conscience, attempt to deny basic civil rights and human decency to another large segment of the population in regards to marriage equality, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

These so-called "patriots" apparently ignore whatever parts of the Constitution they wish to if it suits their own tastes or personal moral belief system, while also ignoring the facts that gay people aren't harming them in any way whatsoever by getting married and that not everyone follows the same belief system. People are free to believe whatever they wish in this country without being persecuted by the government for their beliefs. It's one of the basic principles this country was founded on. I don't recall reading in the Constitution that all men are created equal and afforded the same rights under said document... unless you're "queer".

History will bear out that the people who fought against basic equal rights for homosexuals will be looked at in the same light as people who fought against equal rights for African Americans and women in this country down the road.... and rightfully so.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-08-2013), JonM229 (05-08-2013), SteelCityMom (05-08-2013), Vis (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I just find it rather entertaining, as well as dumbfounding, that a large segment of our population that purports to champion Constitutional rights and civil liberties when it comes to issues like the right to bear arms, privacy, freedom of religion, and free speech can, in good conscience, attempt to deny basic civil rights and human decency to another large segment of the population in regards to marriage equality, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

These so-called "patriots" apparently ignore whatever parts of the Constitution they wish to if it suits their own tastes or personal moral belief system, while also ignoring the facts that gay people aren't harming them in any way whatsoever by getting married and that not everyone follows the same belief system. People are free to believe whatever they wish in this country without being persecuted by the government for their beliefs. It's one of the basic principles this country was founded on. I don't recall reading in the Constitution that all men are created equal and afforded the same rights under said document... unless you're "queer".

History will bear out that the people who fought against basic equal rights for homosexuals will be looked at in the same light as people who fought against equal rights for African Americans and women in this country down the road.... and rightfully so.
Well written and less snarky than I would have been. Applause.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-08-2013)