Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default The Beginning of the Antonio Brown era in Pittsburgh

The Steelers have had many great wide receivers come and go throughout the history of their franchise. John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, and Hines Ward are just a few of the greats that have caught the ball for the black and gold. Now this year the Steelers are going into the season without the receiver who led the team in yards the past two seasons, but it opens the door for someone else to step in and make the most of the opportunity.

Antonio Brown has now become the prime target for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger with the departure of deep threat Mike Wallace. In the past two seasons as the number two Antonio Brown has not disappointed “Steeler Nation.” Last year Brown recorded over 700 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns in 13 games and the year before that he totaled over a thousand yards receiving en route to breaking the franchise record for most total yards in a season with over 2,200 yards.

Brown is a threat in all facets of the offensive game due to his blazing speed and his willingness to run into the middle of defenses. What sets Brown apart from most receivers like him is that he is not afraid to take a hit. But this year Brown is going to see more double teams and a defenses putting more focus on him, but I don’t see that affecting him at all. Brown is a good route runner who has the ability to beat man coverages and the smarts to find the holes in zones. Brown and Roethlisberger have already proven that they can play well together and have success.

I predict that Brown will have another season like his 2011 campaign with over a thousand yards receiving and will make “Steeler Nation” forget all about Mike Wallace.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...burgh/13928767
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,711 Times in 802 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: The Beginning of the Antonio Brown era in Pittsburgh

I sincerely hope so. He's gonna have to step up his game, not make mental mistakes, and try to stay healthy. He'll also have to be a mentor for guys like Wheaton. I trust in Brown. I hope he has a monster season!
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I sincerely hope so. He's gonna have to step up his game, not make mental mistakes, and try to stay healthy. He'll also have to be a mentor for guys like Wheaton. I trust in Brown. I hope he has a monster season!
He seems to have a great work ethic and great attitude. ( just wish the celebratory first down antics would simmer down a notch ) Last year barring a few fumbles , if he doesn't miss multiple games due to injury he hits a 1000 yards receiving for the 2nd year in a row . That would've easily made him the leading receiver over Wallace last year . The only stat that needs to improve - He needs to score touchdowns.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,270 Times in 885 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
He seems to have a great work ethic and great attitude. ( just wish the celebratory first down antics would simmer down a notch ) Last year barring a few fumbles , if he doesn't miss multiple games due to injury he hits a 1000 yards receiving for the 2nd year in a row . That would've easily made him the leading receiver over Wallace last year . The only stat that needs to improve - He needs to score touchdowns.
Brown was scoring touchdowns at the end of the season when he caught a TD pass in three consecutive games to end the season. Sadly, the Steelers lost all but the finale against the Browns. Hopefully, Brown can continue his touchdown scoring streak, but the Steelers actually win meaningful games. I think the TD numbers will improve now that he is the number one receiver. I do hope he cuts down on the silly catch celebrations, though.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,325 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

question why do people hate when antonio brown celebrates after a first down, but never seemed to have a problem when hines did? hines celebrated just as much
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
question why do people hate when antonio brown celebrates after a first down, but never seemed to have a problem when hines did? hines celebrated just as much
I dunno. good question. Maybe cause penalties are stiffer/ enforced more for excessive celebrations. or maybe cause he received the penalty for backpedaling into the end zone and we don't wanna see another penalty called .
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
Brown was scoring touchdowns at the end of the season when he caught a TD pass in three consecutive games to end the season. Sadly, the Steelers lost all but the finale against the Browns. Hopefully, Brown can continue his touchdown scoring streak, but the Steelers actually win meaningful games. I think the TD numbers will improve now that he is the number one receiver. I do hope he cuts down on the silly catch celebrations, though.
True. he definitely improved towards end of the year . Hopefully that continues cause before that run on tds , he very seldom saw the endzone from a receiving standpoint the past couple of years. Like you said since now he's the # 1 that should improve !
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,325 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

we need strong play from our wr's in the redzone, so this is their time to shine. heath miller won't be 100% this year, so the success of the season depends on it. they won't have to do it alone though, our running game should be tough to stop if the o-line stays healthy.

Quote:
I dunno. good question. Maybe cause penalties are stiffer/ enforced more for excessive celebrations. or maybe cause he received the penalty for backpedaling into the end zone and we don't wanna see another penalty called .
true. brown did get called for a few penalties for celebrations, hines did get flagged but for messing up opposing db's, which is a more awesome way to get flagged haha.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
Hines did not celebrate 10 yards down the field after the play.
And he certainly did not do it after EVERY first down catch, like Brown does.
I love Brown's fire. But know when to celebrate and when not to.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

For me, that era began on his very first touch of the football (which was a beauty of a reverse on a kickoff return for a TD) in 2010. With Ben out for 6 weeks they needed special play from the defense and special teams and got it right from the very first play of the season. Been hooked on Brown ever since. Besides Miller (and of course Ben himself), I think Brown is the best player on our offense.