Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,473 Times in 2,274 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Rick Perry indicted for abusing power.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R), a possible Republican presidential candidate, was indicted on Friday for allegedly threatening to cut a state agency’s funding unless a local district attorney quit, Politico reported.

The indictment by an Austin grand jury states that Perry threatened to veto $7.5 million slated for the state public integrity unit, which operates out of the office of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg. Perry reportedly demanded Lehmberg, a Democrat, resign after spending 45 days in jail on drunk driving charges. When she refused to comply, Perry allegedly carried out his threat, forcing the agency to cut staff by either firing or laying off prosecutors and other employees.

The indictment is the first against a sitting Texas governor in more than a century.

The Austin American-Statesman reported that Perry was in a position to select Lehmberg’s replacement had she acceded to his request.

“Despite the otherwise good work [of] the Public Integrity Unit’s employees, I cannot in good conscience support continued state funding for an office with statewide jurisdiction at a time when the person charged with ultimate responsibility of that unit has lost the public’s confidence,” Perry was quoted as saying at the time of her arrest.

The Statesman also reported that Republicans have complained that the agency, which investigates corruption and has been led by Democrats for decades, has unfairly targeted GOP members.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/1...han-a-century/

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,573 Times in 772 Posts
Default Re: Rick Perry indicted for abusing power.

He'll get Tom Delay treatment if he's convicted. They'll let him walk for a few years then void his sentence when they figure everyone's forgotten.
harrison'samonster (08-15-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,092 Times in 2,806 Posts

Texas apparently is a parallel universe to Washington partisanship - instead of the GOP House threatening to file suit against the Dem Chief Executive for using his authority in a manner to which the GOP takes exception, the Dems take exception to how the Texas Chief Executive exercises his authority by getting a typically compliant grand jury to him

They say a prosecutor could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich, and this always seemed like hyperbole, until Friday night a Texas grand jury announced an indictment of governor Rick Perry. The “crime” for which Perry faces a sentence of 5 to 99 years in prison is vetoing funding for a state agency. The conventions of reporting — which treat the fact of an indictment as the primary news, and its merit as a secondary analytic question — make it difficult for people reading the news to grasp just how farfetched this indictment is....

The theory behind the indictment is flexible enough that almost any kind of political conflict could be defined as a “misuse” of power or “coercion” of one’s opponents. To describe the indictment as “frivolous” gives it far more credence than it deserves. Perry may not be much smarter than a ham sandwich, but he is exactly as guilty as one.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...idiculous.html
Old 08-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,473 Times in 2,274 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Texas apparently is a parallel universe to Washington partisanship - instead of the GOP House threatening to file suit against the Dem Chief Executive for using his authority in a manner to which the GOP takes exception, the Dems take exception to how the Texas Chief Executive exercises his authority by getting a typically compliant grand jury to him

They say a prosecutor could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich, and this always seemed like hyperbole, until Friday night a Texas grand jury announced an indictment of governor Rick Perry. The “crime” for which Perry faces a sentence of 5 to 99 years in prison is vetoing funding for a state agency. The conventions of reporting — which treat the fact of an indictment as the primary news, and its merit as a secondary analytic question — make it difficult for people reading the news to grasp just how farfetched this indictment is....

The theory behind the indictment is flexible enough that almost any kind of political conflict could be defined as a “misuse” of power or “coercion” of one’s opponents. To describe the indictment as “frivolous” gives it far more credence than it deserves. Perry may not be much smarter than a ham sandwich, but he is exactly as guilty as one.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...idiculous.html

If I have compromising pictures of you and I give them to the press, it's legal.

If I ask you for money, it's legal.

If I ask you to pay me not to give the pictures to the press, it's illegal.

If the good Gov did indeed try to coerce a resignation....

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Pappy
Starter

Member Number: 25943
My Mood: Inspired

Obama acts like a dictator and it's OK. Why is it any different for this guy? Oh, I forgot, he's a Republican.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
If I have compromising pictures of you and I give them to the press, it's legal.

If I ask you for money, it's legal.

If I ask you to pay me not to give the pictures to the press, it's illegal.

If the good Gov did indeed try to coerce a resignation....
Jon Chait does not sing in the GOP's choir - I found it interesting he was so adamant on his view of Perry's indictment.

My personal view is sending every political dispute to the judiciary and pulling the trigger on a criminal prosecution creates a danger of an executive in the future who unquestionably is out of bounds being able to cry partisanship to frustrate necessary judicial action (IMO Nixon would be much tougher to take down in the current political environment)

And given my personal experience that grand juries will sign off on anything, you need some tight supervision when you indict politicians to avoid allegations of partisanship. Not certain what the Texas equivalent to these DOJ guidelines are

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/fo...le9/85mcrm.htm

Even with those safeguards partisan DOJ prosecutions can go off the rails (see, e.g., the John Edwards prosecution for violating the campaign finance laws - a hack GOP US Attorney in North Carolina who was allowed to stay in office after Obama was elected was behind that and nobody at Main Justice would head it off, possibly because of concerns it would be perceived as a Dem "coverup" if the investigation ended with no charges)

But what is done is done - they have been playing hardball politics in Texas since at least the days of LBJ

Play ball!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts

17 GIFs of a Drunk DA at the Heart of Indictment Charges Show Why Rick Perry Wanted Her to Resign

Yesterday, Rick Perry was indicted on charges of abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant – felonies that could potentially result in a life sentence – after following through on his promise to veto state prosecutors investigating public corruption.

The left-leaning advocacy group, Texans for Public Justice, has largely pushed the issue, which stems from Perry threatening to cut $7.5 million over two years from the public integrity unit in order to pressure Rosemary Lehmberg, the Travis County District Attorney whose office oversaw that unit, to resign after she was convicted of driving under the influence.

While the courts will have to rule on the legitimacy of the charges, it’s not hard to see why Governor Perry may not want Rosemary leading an office.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1684...wanted-resign/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Pappy (08-17-2014)
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Texas governor Rick Perry was indicted last week on two felony counts of abuse of power. Today, he turned himself in to the Travis County Courthouse so he could be booked, fingerprinted, and have his mugshot taken.

The whole process took about 10 to 15 minutes, and on his way out, Perry stopped to thank the courthouse staff for their professionalism.

Then, he did what every criminal does after being booked: he went and got some ice cream.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...s-mugshot.html
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #9
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,573 Times in 772 Posts

Maybe I don't understand the details, but this sounds like a weak case.
Old Today, 04:12 AM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Jon Chait does not sing in the GOP's choir - I found it interesting he was so adamant on his view of Perry's indictment.

My personal view is sending every political dispute to the judiciary and pulling the trigger on a criminal prosecution creates a danger of an executive in the future who unquestionably is out of bounds being able to cry partisanship to frustrate necessary judicial action (IMO Nixon would be much tougher to take down in the current political environment)

And given my personal experience that grand juries will sign off on anything, you need some tight supervision when you indict politicians to avoid allegations of partisanship. Not certain what the Texas equivalent to these DOJ guidelines are

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/fo...le9/85mcrm.htm

Even with those safeguards partisan DOJ prosecutions can go off the rails (see, e.g., the John Edwards prosecution for violating the campaign finance laws - a hack GOP US Attorney in North Carolina who was allowed to stay in office after Obama was elected was behind that and nobody at Main Justice would head it off, possibly because of concerns it would be perceived as a Dem "coverup" if the investigation ended with no charges)

But what is done is done - they have been playing hardball politics in Texas since at least the days of LBJ

Play ball!
This is not a typical case of "crying to the courts" for any perceived slight or wrong. Any imbalance of power between the branches of government (or between levels of government) should go straight to the courts. It's supposed to. That it almost never does speaks volumes about the unquestioned power of the executive branch in our culture.