Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #521
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default Re: Movie Thread

George R. R. Martin has said in many interviews that several movie producers had approached him with interest in turning game of thrones into a movie. he turned them down saying there's noway they could fit his story into a movies time frame and do it justice. he said he knew the only ones he thought could pull it off was HBO.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-08-2014), NSMaster56 (04-08-2014), teegre (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #522
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,135 Times in 3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Part of the appeal of Mad Men for me is that I was growing up in the 60s and remember more and more of what is discussed as that decade progresses (for most of you who are too young to remember - no year you have lived through was as batshit crazy as 1968) as I got older
Girlfriend and I are looking for a new show to binge on before exams. I keep hearing good things about Mad Men - would you recommend it?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #523
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,699 Times in 657 Posts
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
George R. R. Martin has said in many interviews that several movie producers had approached him with interest in turning game of thrones into a movie. he turned them down saying there's noway they could fit his story into a movies time frame and do it justice. he said he knew the only ones he thought could pull it off was HBO.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #524
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Girlfriend and I are looking for a new show to binge on before exams. I keep hearing good things about Mad Men - would you recommend it?
Absolutely

Here is another segment from the end of season 1 - anti-hero Don Draper is the guy making the sales pitch

I guess you have Netflix? You can stream all six seasons (13 episodes per season)

I got a Roku 3 to stream video to my TV - it has totally changed how I watch any TV other than live sports
harrison'samonster (04-08-2014), SteelersCanada (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #525
SteelerJT
Head Coach

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,421 Posts

I'd recommend it, but it's a tougher show than others to binge watch for me. It's not exciting for the most part, and can be very depressing for long stretches. But it's very good.
Atlanta Dan (04-08-2014), harrison'samonster (04-08-2014), NSMaster56 (04-08-2014), SteelersCanada (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #526
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,669 Posts

Dust off the Cylons!

Quote:
Universal Hires Writer For New Big-Screen BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Battlestar Galactica is about to get its third “re-imagining” in less than thirty-five years: In an exclusive at Variety, it’s been reported that Universal is gearing up a big-screen movie version of the classic sci-fi property, and they are set to develop the film as a complete re-imagining of the story. Transcendence writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen is also set to write the sequel to Ridley Scott’s Prometheus for Fox, which will start production towards the end of this year .Original 1978 Battlestar series creator Glen Larson will produce the film.

This isn’t the first time rumors of a revival of Battlestar Galactica have cropped up; a few years ago it was reported that director Bryan Singer of X-Men and The Usual Suspects fame was attached to a movie version, but those rumors seemed to go nowhere (he doesn’t seem to be attached to this version.) This was just a few years after the revival series went off the air, and needless to say, reaction was mixed-to-bad to this idea.

Writer/producer Ronald D. Moore’s revival of Battlestar, which aired on the SyFy Channel from 2003-2009, was one of the most critically beloved science-fiction series of all time, with writing and acting that was usually on a whole other level than most television sci-fi fare, and gaining a legion of devoted fans, may of whom usually did not watch space opera. No doubt a movie version will cost a lot more, and focus more on spectacle than character, drawing very unfavorable comparisons. But Battlestar is a brand name, so if Universal feels they can make some money off this concept via a giant tentpole movie, it means we are gonna see this movie sooner rather than later. Of course, the million dollar question will be, “is Starbuck 3.0 gonna be a girl or a boy?”
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/unive...tar-galactica/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #527
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Character development IS the key to a movie/show. If we don't have empathy (or at least, sympathy) for the protagonist, the movie/show isn't nearly as powerful.
Yep. Which is why many modern movies don't 'grab' me. I can't be expected to care about a/the protagonist just because they're an 'A list' star. I have to 'go through a journey' with them (a believable one) or feel as though the 'stakes' for/against them are palpable.

It's part of the reason why studios are probably so keen to adapt and reboot ideas; because they're established commodities which the viewer should have a 'pre-existing relationship' with. The problem is that I can separate the original from adapted material... I don't care about Bilbo Baggins simply because I read The Hobbit thrice in middle school; the movie has to make me care.

For some (most) people that's not a problem.

Quote:
Dan, The Godfather I & II are a seven hour journey into Michael Corleone: from an innocent young man to a heartless don. I always watch them back-to-back (like one long movie). Probably my favorite movie (singular) ever.
Then they had to go for a trilogy... *sigh*

The Godfather and Part II are probably the best duo movies ever. Star Wars is close, but the first is so light hearted, simplistic and ripped off that it does hinder it enough. LotR has a case, too, but the third was the best, so... Alien and Aliens is up there. Terminator and T2, as well.

As for lesser candidates... Back to the Future II is a good spin on the original, but not enough to put it in the discussion. Rocky II was almost literally a remake of the original. Batman Begins was very good, but it pales in comparison to TDK. Hard to count The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games since they were different actors/directors. Bourne Identity/Supremacy were solid, but nowhere near as great as others. Naked Gun and 2 1/2 are probably best comedy duo movies.

Quote:
NS, the interesting dynamic in The Dark Knight was not necessarily Batman vs. Joker; it was that Batman believed in the inherent good inside of people, while the Joker believed that all people were evil at heart. The "two boats & detonators" was going to play out to either prove Batman right or prove Joker right. It wasn't about Batman's strength, money, or gadgets; and, it wasn't about Joker's cunning; it was about what the people (normal old people) would do.
That's the thing about TDK though: there were so many 'larger concepts' than just 'save Gotham!' at play. That's why it works as such a great movie.

There are numerous ways to interpret or express the themes of the movie beyond the simplistic hero narrative.

How far will Bruce go to stop the Joker?
Do his/the ends justify the/his means?
Is he willing to sacrifice (the girl and or Batman's image) to 'uphold justice'?
Are people inherently good or bad? We see how far Bruce has gone and we see Dent going in a similar direction. What makes them 'right' or 'good' compared to rest?
Etc.

Begins and Rises more or less stuck to the 'save the day' format, with enough 'philosophy' intertwined to make them among the best super hero movies. But TDK is legendary for having such a wide scope while maintaining 'simple' stakes. It has more in common with Heart of Darkness than your average weekly action serial (be it written or film medium).
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #528
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Dust off the Cylons!

Nice framing in this picture. All I see (or care about) are tits.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #529
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
I'd recommend it, but it's a tougher show than others to binge watch for me. It's not exciting for the most part, and can be very depressing for long stretches. But it's very good.
True in terms of it not having a lot of action sequences - as stated above it is a slow burn, not a flash fire

I stared watching it midway through Season 2 and have been watching as shows appeared since then so I cannot say how binge watching through 6 seasons would go

Breaking Bad was the show I binged on
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #530
SteelerJT
Head Coach

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
True in terms of it not having a lot of action sequences - as stated above it is a slow burn, not a flash fire

I stared watching it midway through Season 2 and have been watching as shows appeared since then so I cannot say how binge watching through 6 seasons would go

Breaking Bad was the show I binged on
I watched in stretches, but would have to walk away for a little while. Obviously some happenings have higher tensions and more moving parts than others. Without spoiling anything a few business moves and a certain holiday party comes to mind.

Yes. Watching Breaking Bad can most accurately be described as: "Nom nom nom nom"

The first season of Prison Break is a candidate, but then it goes to shit. And Firefly I great but only one season.