Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,848 Posts
Default Re: If You Have Verizon, The NSA Has Been Secretly Collecting Your Phone Records

I would rather have a supreme court that upholds the constitution. Not twist it to fit their personal beliefs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: If You Have Verizon, The NSA Has Been Secretly Collecting Your Phone Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do not know if liberal/conservative really is the standard of what sort of Supreme Court would reign this in.

Justice Scalia is about as conservative as they come but he wrote the vociferous dissent in the DNA case while Justice Breyer voted with the majority to uphold taking a DNA sample at the time of arrest
True about Breyer but look at historical 4th Amendment cases.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I would rather have a supreme court that upholds the constitution. Not twist it to fit their personal beliefs.
Whose interpretation?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 7,095 Times in 2,512 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

If the Constitution were perfect, they wouldn't be called Amendments

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-07-2013), Lady Steel (06-08-2013), teegre (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,786 Times in 8,647 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
If the Constitution were perfect, they wouldn't be called Amendments
So... are you saying that you actually agree with the thirteenth amendment!?!

How dare you question the Founding Fathers!!!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-07-2013), JonM229 (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Every Justice who has ever sat on the Supreme Court would say their decisions have upheld the Constitution. That goes for both the Justices who held by a 7-1 vote that racial segregation of public facilities was not unconstitutional in Plessy v. Ferguson in 1896 and the nine Justices who unanimously held such segregation was unconstitutional in Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.

But deciding issues of Constitutional interpretation such as what constitutes the "right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures" leaves a lot of room for discretion in the application of such general terms to a specific case. Any contention that there is only one possible interpretation as to how issues arising in the 21st century can be resolved by divining the clear intent of how Madison, Franklin, and Washington would have decided the issue if it had been brought before them is specious.

It's a constitution, not holy writ.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-07-2013), JonM229 (06-07-2013), Lady Steel (06-08-2013), teegre (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
True about Breyer but look at historical 4th Amendment cases.
I think your "liberal/conservative" dichotomy with regard to who is more likely to apply the protections of the 4th Amendment expansively actually breaks down more along the lines of more skeptical/less skeptical of assertions of law enforcement authority. The liberal/conservative breakdown (or more accurately Democrat appointee/GOP appointee) more often applies in cases involving regulatory issues and standing/class action issues that impact access to the legal system to redress grievances.

For example, Scalia and Thomas were with the majority this term that held using a drug dog to sniff around the front porch constituted a search, while Breyer joined the dissent. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...1-564_5426.pdf

In earlier terms, the majority that held in Kyllo v. U.S., 533 U.S. 27 (2001) that thermal imaging of a house, to determine if heat thrown off by marijuana grow lamps was a search, consisted of Scalia, Souter, Thomas, Ginsburg, and Breyer, with Stevens writing a dissent in which Rehnquist, O'Connor, and Kennedy joined. http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...=1&oi=scholarr
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I think your "liberal/conservative" dichotomy with regard to who is more likely to apply the protections of the 4th Amendment expansively actually breaks down more along the lines of more skeptical/less skeptical of assertions of law enforcement authority. The liberal/conservative breakdown (or more accurately Democrat appointee/GOP appointee) more often applies in cases involving regulatory issues and standing/class action issues that impact access to the legal system to redress grievances.

For example, Scalia and Thomas were with the majority this term that held using a drug dog to sniff around the front porch constituted a search, while Breyer joined the dissent. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...1-564_5426.pdf

In earlier terms, the majority that held in Kyllo v. U.S., 533 U.S. 27 (2001) that thermal imaging of a house, to determine if heat thrown off by marijuana grow lamps was a search, consisted of Scalia, Souter, Thomas, Ginsburg, and Breyer, with Stevens writing a dissent in which Rehnquist, O'Connor, and Kennedy joined. http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...=1&oi=scholarr
Look back at Plessy and Brown

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Turns out NSA has a web page, including a section for kids!

“We’re the CryptoKids® and we love cryptology,” the site reads. “What’s cryptology? Cryptology is making and breaking codes. It’s so cool.” You know what else is cool, according to the CryptoKids website? The work being done by the heroes at the National Security Agency/Central Security Service: “Our Nation’s leaders and warfighters count on the technology and information they get from NSA/CSS to get their jobs done. Without NSA/CSS, they wouldn’t be able to talk to one another without the bad guys listening and they wouldn’t be able to figure out what the bad guys were planning."

The CryptoKids website is designed to teach children that codebreaking and surveillance work is fun, and patriotic, and performed by an awesomely outrageous cast of cartoon animals. The name “CryptoKids” actually refers to a fictional group of anthropomorphic code-crackers, whose skills and hobbies are lovingly detailed on the NSA’s website. There’s CryptoCat, the leader, who grew up on a Navajo reservation; DecipherDog (“or D-Dog for short”), a cryptanalyst who plays junior varsity football; RosettaStone, a language analyst who appears to be some sort of fox; [and] Slate .... a mathematically gifted rabbit who can juggle balls with his long, droopy ears....

What’s the point of all this? Recruitment, obviously. The CryptoKids website also features an extensive section titled “How Can I Work For NSA?” “It’s never too early to start thinking about what you want to be when you grow up!”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...cryptocat.html

Reading about this makes me feel much better - if only I had known NSA is only interested in hoovering up information about my phone calls and web site visits to figure out what the bad guys are thinking.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Look back at Plessy and Brown
???

Plessy and Brown were not 4th Amendment cases and Plessy was more of a14th Amendment case than it was a criminal case even though it involved prosecution for not vacating the whites only rail car. I have no clue who was regarded as a liberal and who was a conservative in 1896. To the extent you regard Justice Harlan, the lone dissenter in Plessy, to be a "liberal" in the modern sense of that term, here is a nugget from his dissent

[T]he white race deems itself to be the dominant race in this country. And so it is, in prestige, in achievements, in education, in wealth and in power. So, I doubt not, it will continue to be for all time, if it remains true to its great heritage and holds fast to the principles of constitutional liberty.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=163&invol=537

I do know FDR appointee Felix Frankfurter was regarded as a judicial conservative by 1954 and he was part of the 9-0 Brown opinion