Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,560 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Report: Some 20 baseball players may face suspension in doping scandal

(CNN) -- Major League Baseball is set to suspend some 20 players in the coming weeks due to a scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs, according to an ESPN report.

The network says it is potentially the worst drug abuse case in the history of baseball.

The league declined to comment to CNN, but confirmed that an investigation is in the works.

Baseball's highest-paid player, New York Yankee Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez, as well as Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers are among those facing suspension, ESPN said, citing unnamed sources.

Both have denied using performance-enhancing drugs, or PEDs.

The league may seek to double the possible suspension time for affected players by counting the doping itself as one infraction and lying about having taken the drugs as a second one, ESPN reported.

Braun has faced suspension before for a period of 50 games.

In 2012, a drug test showed high levels of testosterone, but the outfielder successfully disputed the testing process, and the suspension was overturned in February.

A Florida newspaper first leveled doping allegations at Rodriguez in January. The Miami New Times reported that the shortstop and third baseman had acquired the drugs from a Miami anti-aging clinic called "Biogenesis" run by Anthony Bosch.

ESPN said Bosch, who allegedly supplied baseball players with performance-enhancing substances, has agreed to cooperate in the MLB investigation.

Records obtained by MLB name many players, but league investigators need Bosch to attest to their accuracy and confirm that players were doping, ESPN reported, citing unnamed sources.

The league filed a suit against Biogenesis in March for allegedly supplying PEDs to players and advising them on how to avoid detection during drug tests.

ESPN reported that MLB may drop the suit against Bosch, if he cooperates in its investigation.
Managers tight-lipped

On Tuesday, the managers for the Yankees and the Brewers said little.

"I know Major League Baseball is handling it, and that's all I know," Brewers' manager Ron Roenicke told journalists at a post-game news conference in Milwaukee.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi started out dodging reporters who grilled him on ESPN's report at a post-game news conference, but softened when it came to his concerns about Rodriguez.

"I always worry about my players, always," he said. "One thing you never want to forget is -- they're human beings."
He did not let on if he discussed the looming scandal with Rodriguez.

"When I talk to Alex, it's baseball-related. That's what it is," Girardi said.

He feared the game he has dedicated his life to will suffer.

"I worry about baseball being affected as a game, the whole thing, and what it's been through in the last 15 years."
Rodriguez was in Florida on Tuesday, recovering from an injury. He could not be reached for comment.

New York outfielder Vernon Wells was discouraged by the scandal.

"We've done so much as a group to try to rid ourselves of conversations like this," he said.

In spite of advances in drug testing, new doping techniques designed to avoid detection keep arising, Wells said.
"There's always someone out there trying to beat the system from a medical standpoint."

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Report: Some 20 baseball players may face suspension in doping scandal

Players Under Scrutiny
Major League Baseball will seek to suspend about 20 players connected to Biogenesis, OTL has learned. Among the players who might ultimately face discipline:

Player Team
Ryan Braun Brewers
Everth Cabrera Padres
Melky Cabrera Blue Jays
Francisco Cervelli Yankees
Bartolo Colon Athletics
Nelson Cruz Rangers
Fautino de los Santos Free agent
Gio Gonzalez* Nationals
Yasmani Grandal Padres
Fernando Martinez Astros
Jesus Montero Mariners
Jordan Norberto Free agent
Jhonny Peralta Tigers
Cesar Puello** Mets
Alex Rodriguez Yankees

Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766
Default Re: Report: Some 20 baseball players may face suspension in doping scandal

From what I've read there is absolutely no evidence this guy has other than some documents with people's names on them from a scummy drug dealer. the PA has such an easy case here. Unless they actually bring some tests or some shit everybody's getting off.

As a side note: fuck Ryan Braun.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
From what I've read there is absolutely no evidence this guy has other than some documents with people's names on them from a scummy drug dealer. the PA has such an easy case here. Unless they actually bring some tests or some shit everybody's getting off.

As a side note: fuck Ryan Braun.
Insider info or would you share this info you've read.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

gladly

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-investigation

Investigators have had records naming about 20 players for more than a month. But without a sworn statement from Bosch that the records are accurate and reflect illicit interactions between the players and the self-described biochemist, the documents are little more than a road map.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
gladly

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-investigation

Investigators have had records naming about 20 players for more than a month. But without a sworn statement from Bosch that the records are accurate and reflect illicit interactions between the players and the self-described biochemist, the documents are little more than a road map.
They can establish the records were kept in the regular course of business at the proper time. No affidavit needed on that. Whether the transaction were illicit is a conclusion others can make. Bosch isn't the arbiter of whether a rule or law was broken.

The paragraph you quote isn't the statement of the attorneys involved, it's just thrown in there by the reporter as his own opinion.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Who here cares about MLB players juicing? I think it sucks. Guys who get caught more than once doing it should be banned for life from the sport, I feel. It seems there's a lot of apathy on the issue from baseball fans or outright support for letting them do it. I think it sullies the game and cheapens the records. It also gives unfair advantage to players and even teams who have those players on them.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

II think it encourages others to do it and in turn encourages players to do it just to make the leage or to make their college team etc....

Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
II think it encourages others to do it and in turn encourages players to do it just to make the leage or to make their college team etc....
And that's a bad thing. Not only does it destroy the integrity of the game, but it destroys their bodies over time as well. Nobody cares about the consequences until they are 52 and can barely walk anymore or, worse, die from the abuse it has ravaged on their bodies.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,711 Times in 2,194 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

And then there's poor Lindsey Vonn.

Lindsey Vonn was drug tested at a fashion event

After putting on her couture gown, walking the red carpet and hobnobbing with fashion glitterati at the CFDA Awards, Lindsey Vonn had to go into a Lincoln Center bathroom and give a urine sample to United States Anti-Doping Agency drug testers, just like in the fairy tales.

According to The New York Post, Vonn was attending Monday night’s fashion event in New York when she received a phone call informing her that testers were outside. They were allowed in by designer Cynthia Rowley, whom Vonn accompanied to the awards. Rowley stood guard outside the bathroom while the drug test was collected, according to the Post. The process took five minutes.

That’s probably not the first time someone has stood guard outside a bathroom at a fashion event for drug-related reasons, albeit for vastly different purposes.

USADA confirmed the test in a statement.

“Lindsey Vonn has participated in the USADA out-of-competition testing pool for more than 12 years,” spokesperson Annie Skinner said. “As part of her participation, she provided USADA with her location information indicating she would be in New York and we performed a test collection on her there. We appreciate her professionalism and for accommodating this process, which at times can be inconvenient.”

Inconvenient is a good word. Necessary is, too.

The whole point of out-of-competition testing is that athletes — even clean ones — aren’t supposed to know when it’s coming. It needs to be inconvenient for a reason. If black-tie events were off limits, shady competitors would be pulling a Jack Donaghy and wearing a tuxedo every day after six.

Vonn knows this.

“She understands it is part of the job,” her spokesman, Lewis Kay, told the Associated Press.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/lindsey-vonn-drug-test/
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote