Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,578 Times in 5,190 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones leans on a blocking dummy as he listens to coaches during the first day of their NFL football minicamp on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — Jason Worilds is not James Harrison. Neither is Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter or anybody else the Steelers decide to put at right outside linebacker this season.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler doesn’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. What Harrison’s potential replacements lack in snarl they make up for in options.

“I’ve never had a situation like this where I can play three different guys and have confidence in all of them that they’re going to be pretty good,” Butler said Wednesday.

They’ll have to be if they want to take the field for a team that perennially sends out one of the best defenses in the NFL. While Butler cautioned it’s way too early to figure out the depth chart, he’s confident the dropoff without Harrison won’t be significant.

“We’ve got some guys who can play,” Butler said.

And it may take using Worilds, Carter and Jones to fill in for Harrison. Worilds finished with five sacks in spot duty last season. Jones, taken 17th in the draft, led the nation in sacks last fall while playing for Georgia. Carter, when healthy, might be the best of the three in pass coverage.

Though Jones is considered the future, Carter and Worilds understand there’s a chance in the present to make an impact. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s defense can be difficult to pick up for young players no matter how talented they are.

Worilds and Carter have paid their dues in that fashion and they know it’s time for them to start producing.

The 25-year-old Worilds spent his first three seasons bouncing between the right side and left side. There are no such issues now, allowing him to get comfortable for the first time.

“The main thing for me this year is to finally have a home,” Worilds said. “In the past, I’ve worked at both sides, and I never knew from one day to the next where I would play. This year, I’ve worked almost exclusively on the right side, and having that craft to hone has really helped me out.”

Worilds will likely need to settle in quickly if he wants to hold off Jones. He played well at times while filling in as Harrison recovered from lingering knee issues last fall and picked up two sacks in a loss to Cleveland. The way Worilds looks at it, the more reps he gets, the better his chances of sticking around.

“I’ve always been the type of player where I learn better if I can go through it,” he said.

The Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense in 2012 but were a middling 15th in sacks.

Generating more pressure — and hopefully creating more turnovers in the process — has been a point of emphasis during the offseason. Though LeBeau commands his players to be versatile, there’s little doubt the best way to stay at the top of the depth chart is getting into the backfield and creating havoc.

Chaos happened to be Jones’ specialty at Georgia, where his 14.5 sacks were the most in the nation last fall. He has proven better than advertised covering running backs and tight ends, leading Butler to joke Jones is Pittsburgh’s “shutdown linebacker.”

That’s not why the Steelers spent a first-round pick on Jones, though. And while LeBeau allows Jones will be a “pretty good player” if the coaches don’t “mess him up” there’s also no big rush to get him on the field. Jones was able to freelance at Georgia, relying on his talent to cover up mistakes. That won’t be tolerated in the NFL.

“He doesn’t exactly know what we require from him,” Butler said. “It’s not like in college, even though he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. It doesn’t mean he can be plugged right in.”

Jones is hardly lagging behind. The transition is just that difficult, something Carter and Worilds know all too well.

“Nobody comes in here and picks things up right away,” Carter said. “That’s just how it is. You look at Jason Worilds, even James Harrison. He didn’t get going right away, but look at how he developed.”

Carter is spending most of his time on the left side behind LaMarr Woodley but remains an option on the right side in certain situations. And even with Harrison gone, Carter believes the overall depth has improved.

“I also think we have a better linebacker corps this year, as the younger guys got more experience, and with who they brought in,” Carter said. “So, that’s a good thing for the team. That gives us a lot of weapons on defense, and we need all we can get to win a championship.”

Something that tends to happen with regularity in Pittsburgh. The echoes of the Steel Curtain defense that won four titles in the 1970s still resonate. Worilds, in fact, wore a t-shirt honoring one of the NFL’s all-time defenses on Wednesday.

“They were the best,” Worilds said, “and I want this defense to be the best.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...bbf663157.html
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-25-2013), Fire Arians (06-13-2013), FrancoLambert (06-15-2013), harrison'samonster (06-13-2013), Steelstoned1972 (06-14-2013), VaDave (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,452 Times in 3,111 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

harrison was gimpy last year, i think worilds can at least outperform what james did last year. we will be fine at OLB.

the rookie will probably be used as a situational pass rusher like aldon smith was used for the 49ers / woodley for us in his rookie season, and i don't mind that
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Good article. Another nice post from Hawaii- all part of the reason hes in my top 5 all time.

Hey guys, whats the best way to get stink out of tennis shoes?

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,023 Times in 4,571 Posts

How are we going to replace 6 sacks, a bad back, a bad knee and nosedive decline in play?

His name is Jarvis Jones and he's here for the long haul.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

everybody see's what they want to see

If Worilds gets bowled over on the edge like he did last year against the run, we are in deep shit
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
everybody see's what they want to see

If Worilds gets bowled over on the edge like he did last year against the run, we are in deep shit
You know, that goes both ways. Just sayin' that maybe its a blessing in disguise that Harrison overplayed his hand.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
You know, that goes both ways. Just sayin' that maybe its a blessing in disguise that Harrison overplayed his hand.
I'm not breaking out the pom-poms till I see some evidence

but you carry on
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
SteelersRush (06-25-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I'm not breaking out the pom-poms till I see some evidence

but you carry on

What you call pom poms I call optimism.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,587 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Hopefully , Lebeau dials up relentless blitz packages utilizing Jones , Shark, Cam, and Adrian Robinson with some of the regular starters. Mix and match , keep a steady fresh rotation.
EbonySteel86 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
How are we going to replace 6 sacks, a bad back, a bad knee and nosedive decline in play?

His name is Jarvis Jones and he's here for the long haul.
Jones hasn't done a thing yet. He could very well be another Richardson.
SteelersRush (06-25-2013)