Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Predicting the season ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I like your assessment SteelReign. We are in the middle of a mini-rebuilding process (mostly on the defensive side of the ball) and we will have some growing pains there. The offense had to go through some of it's own growing pains last year with a new coordinator and some flux at the RB and WR positions along with the obligatory o-line and Big Ben injuries. Hopefully with the departures of Mendenhall and Wallace, a healthy o-line gelling and keeping Ben upright, and another year of comfort in Haley's sytem, the offense's growing pains will be rewarded with much better results this year. Getting Heath Miller healthy and back in the lineup will help them to achieve that goal as well as fresh blood with better attitudes and work ethic.
Thanks Buddha - that's exactly the way I see it. And your point about the loss of Mendy & Wallace is well made. I truly believe that is an example of addition by subtraction.

Letting Wallace go, specifically, I think helps. I hate the prima donna WR crap in the NFL and am glad to be rid of that distraction.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteeleReign For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (06-18-2013), Buddha Bus (06-18-2013), VaDave (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Thanks Buddha - that's exactly the way I see it. And your point about the loss of Mendy & Wallace is well made. I truly believe that is an example of addition by subtraction.

Letting Wallace go, specifically, I think helps. I hate the prima donna WR crap in the NFL and am glad to be rid of that distraction.
Amen. Wallace may go on to be a productive WR in this league, but he clearly was not Steelers material once he began believing his own hype. He definitely held back last year and had a bad attitude.

Mendy just didn't seem to fit in here. Tomlin, for whatever reason, seemed to be really down on him, but the thing that made me believe he had to go was when he was benched last year and didn't show up for the next game against the Chargers. Purely unprofessional and showed he was not a team player.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Gianfranco Zogba
Water Boy

Member Number: 24921

Quote:
I can't possibly predict the team's record for this season. I look at the possible outcomes of this season more in terms of righting our wrongs from last season. I expect some growing pains this year with new faces at some key positions. With that being said, here are my predictions:

1) The o-line finally gels. If all stay healthy and the zone-blocking scheme is a success, I predict that the offense finishes in the Top 5 in overall yards, 3rd down efficiency, & red zone scoring. The o-line success will help to produce a 3800 yard season for BB, 1200 yds for Bell, and Brown/Sanders/Cotch/Burress/Wheaton/TE will provide the short/middle/deep balance to keep the defense honest.

2) The defense will struggle this year. I continue to have concerns about the ability to pressure the QB, and with the big question marks at LB, I'm not sure the sum of all the parts is enough to get it done. IF Woodley gets back to the force he was two years ago, IF Foote can hold up the whole season & not be a huge liability in coverage, IF Worilds can become the player he was drafted to be, IF Jones can grow into a starter (I have my doubts), then MAYBE the defense can finish in the Top 10 this season. I have real concerns about the secondary & if the LBs can't get immediate pressure, then I'm afraid that the back end will get torched.

3) Coaching. It's time for Tomlin to establish himself as the unbending leader of this team. Way too many losses to inferior teams, suspect clock management, strange personnel decisions, and unfulfilled promises and threats. Now that many of the old guard have moved on, I think it's a perfect time for Tomlin to step up and put his stamp on this team. I believe he will and the youngsters will respond.

Bottom line: the offense performs very well, the defense struggles, and Tomlin grows into a true leader. I doubt that the Steelers make the playoffs this year, but by the end of the season, the team will begin to show it's potential. Next season will prove to be the successful result of this season's growing pains.
I think that is a brilliant analysis but from what you wrote I would have thought you'd place Steelers as a play-off team. Is the defense going to be that much worse? Or is our improvement in Offence not going to be good enough to make up for it, if it is a small deterioration in performance.
Gianfranco Zogba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Gianfranco Zogba
Water Boy

Member Number: 24921

Quote:
Amen. Wallace may go on to be a productive WR in this league, but he clearly was not Steelers material once he began believing his own hype. He definitely held back last year and had a bad attitude.

Mendy just didn't seem to fit in here. Tomlin, for whatever reason, seemed to be really down on him, but the thing that made me believe he had to go was when he was benched last year and didn't show up for the next game against the Chargers. Purely unprofessional and showed he was not a team player.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Rainey had more snaps then Mendenhall last year
Gianfranco Zogba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco Zogba View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that Rainey had more snaps then Mendenhall last year
That could be true considering Mendenhall was still recovering from his ACL for the first several games before being activated and was also benched for poor performance and subsequently suspended for a game after he didn't show for the next game after his benching. He had limited touches from all of that as well as a "running back by committee" approach.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:

I knew then he had quit on us. But I did remain hopeful that something would get done to repair the relationship and keep him around a while longer. The kid is definitely talented, but I just don't think his heart is really in football. He seems to view it as a more of a way to means rather than playing for the love of the game. I think I even remember him saying as much right after being drafted.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,512 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
I also believe Todd Haley shuts up all of his naysayers this year with a more diverse and dynamic offense than last year's. He will be one more year comfortable with Ben and Ben one more year comfortable with him which will equal success. Our offense will be top 10 in the league this season.

Our defense will have some growing pains with some new blood coming in and struggle at times falling out of the top 5, but do well enough to make us a playoff contender and continue to show improvement as the year progresses.
Does this mean that maybe the Tomlin detractors will clam up too, or will they still say it was Haley's offense run by Cowher's QB that won it all?
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (06-18-2013), Buddha Bus (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
VaDave
Team President

Quote:

Good posts SteelReign
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
SteeleReign (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Does this mean that maybe the Tomlin detractor will clam up too, or will they still say it was Haley's offense run by Cowher's QB that won it all?
I think it will go as Cowher's players, with Bruce Arians' superior training, run by Haley, with the shadow of Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones in the wings, and brought to full fruition by the ghost of Art Rooney Sr.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (06-18-2013), SteeleReign (06-18-2013), VaDave (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
VaDave
Team President

Yep.....