Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default With Cap Space to Spend do the Pittsburgh Steelers Have Anything Up Their Sleeves?

By Kyle Curry on July 5, 2013

During most the of the 2013 off-season the Pittsburgh Steelers were stuck in, what is referred to as, ďsalary cap hell.Ē Their salary cap issues this off-season led to the release of 2008 Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison. It also made it impossible for the team to bring back long-time starters Casey Hampton and Max Starks.

Releasing James Harrison and Willie Colon gave them the necessary cap space to make some small moves in free agency. They were still able to sign Larod Stehpens-Howling out of free agency and resign Emmanuel Sanders and Steve McLendon.

Colonís $5.5 million cap hit became available in June after he was designated as a June cut back in March. That cap room made it possible for the Steelers to sign all of their draft picks. However, their draft picks did not take up much of that cap space and they still have plenty of money to spend.

That $4.4 million could go a long way depending on what they decide to use it on. They could also choose not to use that cap space and let it roll over into next off-season so that they have more space to work with in 2014, but there are also things they could use it on this off-season.

The Steelers will have some high-profile free agents once again in 2014. Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, Emmanuel Sanders, Ziggy Hood, Jason Worilds, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer will all be free agents next off-season. They also have Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Heath Miller, Maurkice Pouncey, Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert, and Cortez Allen all hitting free agency in 2015.

There is a good chance that Clark, Keisel and one of Redman and Dwyer could all be gone next off-season due to age for the first two and a log-jam at running back for the second two. Even so, the Steelers may want to sign Sanders to an extension so they donít face another Mike Wallace situation this season and next off-season.

As for Hood and Worilds both players have yet to play up to expectations, but both players are expected to be starters in 2013. If Worilds plays well as a starter it will be harder to keep him next off-season, but the Steelers now have Jarvis Jones in waiting. Hood is the same way; if he plays well in 2013 his price will go way up form where it stands now.

The team will also be looking to sign Pouncey, Gilbert, Miller, Allen and possibly Ben Roethlisberger all to extensions next off-season so that they donít become free agents in 2015. That will require a lot of cap space, which means they could just let that $4.4 million roll into next off-season to give them more room to make those deals.

There is still a chance they could use some of that money to make some more moves this off-season. Their veteran depth on the offensive line and at safety is a bit worrisome and if the injury bug hits either of those positions they will need to add some depth.

Plenty of good veteran free agents are still looking for jobs at tight end, full-back, offensive tackle and safety. If the Steelers see any signs of worry with any of their young players who are set to fill larger roles in 2013 itís possible they could make a move.

Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams are set to take over the two offensive tackle spots, but Gilbert has struggled with injuries and Adams had injury issues in his rookie year. If either player suffers an injury in training camp the Steelers may be forced to sign a veteran free agent to come in.

Many fans have been clamoring for the Steelers to sign former-Ravens full-back Vonta Leach:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...eeves/13978426
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,651 Times in 934 Posts
Default Re: With Cap Space to Spend do the Pittsburgh Steelers Have Anything Up Their Sleeves

We have $4.4 mill as we stand, with another $600k from expected roster cuts. That leaves us with about $5 mil at the end of camp if we do nothing.

Typically, we go into a season with about $2 mil for emergencies, leaving a net $3 mil to work with. I would be shocked if either Sanders or Worilds sign an extension at this point, and it isn't enough to offer a meaningful extension for Ben.

IMO, unless there is a FA that comes available, it's going to roll over for next year.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: With Cap Space to Spend do the Pittsburgh Steelers Have Anything Up Their Sleeves

Personally, I'd like to see some money used to bring in a couple more decent o-line backups from pre-season cuts from other teams. We have a solid starting lineup in place, but lack much depth and proven skill on the bench outside of Beachum. Maybe Embernate or Golic Jr., can surprise in camp, but right now I feel like we're weak at o-line depth.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (07-06-2013), harrison'samonster (07-06-2013), lloydwoodson (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Clark and Keisel will almost surely be gone next season.....
Damn....did i just say that!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

It'd be neat to bring in Vonta Leach for the year or 2 to really give Bell some holes to open up but i doubt that'll happen.

I guess it depends on how much longer Clark and Keisel plan on playing also
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

If we "have anything up our sleeves" it better be directed to creating depth at the O-line.

Once again it's our weakest link and we all know what happens to an offense with an O-line that is ineffective (no running game, QB getting injured).

Been there......done that.

Leach is tempting as a lead blocker, but Will Johnson based on what he showed last year can probably grow into that role.......and he's much cheaper.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (07-07-2013), Da Pimp (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,744 Times in 8,635 Posts
My Mood: Dead

$3 million for Cortez Allen's new 5 year/$30 million contract.

$3 million
$6 million
$6 million
$7 million
$8 million
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (07-09-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,557 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
It'd be neat to bring in Vonta Leach for the year or 2 to really give Bell some holes to open up but i doubt that'll happen.

I guess it depends on how much longer Clark and Keisel plan on playing also
I think they have faith in Wil Johnson , so I doubt they spend money on Leach.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Member Number: 24990

I agree on the OL; I think adding a solid, vet OT would be wise. You know our history of injuries. Stack up on OT. Either Gilbert or Adams could go down. We need depth or the season will be lost, once again.
Da Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote