Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Parker stays positive

By Joe Rutter
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 28, 2006

Willie Parker isn't about to quibble with coach Bill Cowher's criticism of the Steelers' running game during the exhibition season.
"If the head man says the running game isn't going right, it's not going right," Parker said after the Steelers' 16-7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles dropped their exhibition record to 0-3. "We have to make some improvements."

Parker, though, has been absolved of any wrongdoing by Cowher, who hasn't seen much continuity from the supporting cast.

"Willie is fine," Cowher said. "I'm very comfortable with where he is."

Parker isn't going to argue that assessment, either. Although he has played sparingly during the exhibition games -- and might make just a token appearance in Thursday's finale -- Parker said he'll be ready to handle the workload when the Steelers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Cowher has taken great care to avoid injury to Parker, his biggest backfield asset, during the exhibition season. Duce Staley, looking sluggish on nearly every carry, has done nothing in the preseason to show he'll be a dependable backup. Third-down back Verron Haynes is inexperienced as a full-time starter.

Continuing a preseason trend, Parker lasted just one series with the first-team offense against the Eagles, but he made the most of his time. He handled the ball on six of the first seven plays, carrying three times for 13 yards and catching three passes for 18 yards.

In three games, Parker has carried the ball just seven times for 30 yards, and he has four receptions for 25 yards.

Such inactivity is the reason Parker can't wait for the statistics to count, and his carries to increase exponentially once the Dolphins defense takes the field.

"I'm sick of it," Parker said, referring to his time spent on the sidelines. "I'm ready to play for real. I'm ready to show everybody -- not just me, but our offensive unit and the team as a whole -- that we're a good team."

Parker intimated that he'll be playing this season with a chip on his shoulder, one he will carry because of a perceived lack of respect. He went from undrafted free agent to 1,202-yard rusher to Super Bowl hero with a 75-yard touchdown run. Still, he sees critics -- aside from his coach -- who wonder whether he can duplicate such numbers again.

Parker also must show he can handle short-yardage situations. He'll get the first crack in the regular season at filling a role handled last year by the retired Jerome Bettis.

"That just adds fuel to my fire," Parker said. "That is motivation for me. I'm just ready. If I'm going to be a competitor, I have to be able to prove people wrong."

Parker's skeptics -- he declined to elaborate on who they are -- apparently aren't members of the Steelers' offensive line. Tackle Max Starks has no doubt about Parker's abilities, and he isn't taking stock in the running game's struggles.

"Willie is a great player," Starks said. "He'll get going once we get into more of a rhythm and rotation once the season starts."

Parker showed flashes of his game-breaking speed against the Eagles, even if two of his attempts were short-circuited by his choice of footwear. Parker slipped during an 11-yard pass that might have resulted in a touchdown had he remained upright. He also went down on a 7-yard run.

Knowing he was going to play just one series, Parker didn't pack his longer cleats. When his shorter cleats caused him to stumble, Parker was so upset with himself that he briefly declined interviews following the game.

"I'm heated about it," he said. "That's part of it, though. I'll look at the film and get better. Next game, hopefully, there won't be the same mistakes."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers' Parker stays positive

I love Willie's 'tude and his fire. He wants to be a huge contributor to the Steelers' success and with a little help from the OL, I think this guy is going to have a great season!

Nice read, LLT. Thanks!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
LetsRock
Water Boy

Member Number: 2733
Default Re: Steelers' Parker stays positive

"Knowing he was going to play just one series, Parker didn't pack his longer cleats. When his shorter cleats caused him to stumble, Parker was so upset with himself that he briefly declined interviews following the game. "

What's this all about? The players are responisble for packing their own equipment? The players only responsibilility is to arrive at the game on time. Everything else should be handled by the staff.
LetsRock is offline   Reply With Quote