Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,143 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Steelers take good with bad in preseason loss to Giants

An extended look at the starting offense. An unexpected look at LaRod Stephens-Howling with the starters. No look at all at Le'Veon Bell.

The Steelers didn't like all there was to see of their 18-13 preseason loss to the New York Giants at Heinz Field on Saturday night — the first punt of Danny Smith's tenure as special teams coach was blocked, and a punt was later fumbled away — but there were plenty of surprises.

“There were some positives and some negatives,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

The good: Stephens-Howling, expected to be a situational back, ran seven times for 40 yards and led a 13-play drive late in the first quarter that ended with a Shaun Suisham 34-yard field goal. The starters wound up playing 18 plays, or one-third more than the 12 that Tomlin projected.

“He has great vision, and he got outside and made some plays,” center Maurkice Pouncey said of Stephens-Howling, a former Pitt player from Johnstown.

Even as the 5-foot-7 Stephens-Howling bounced those runs outside, the Steelers used their new zone-blocking system only twice during the starters' nine running plays.

“We wanted to establish an identity early of running the ball, and I think I did a good job with that,” Ben Roethlisberger said.

The bad: Bell, the second-round pick who already looks to be the front-runner to start the Sept. 8 opener at running back, was held out with a previously undisclosed left knee injury only two days after Tomlin said he would get carries with the starters.

“He was a little sore and slowed during the week,” Tomlin said. “I didn't feel comfortable playing him because I didn't like what I saw Friday. He's going to be fine. I just didn't want to start his career out in less-than-ideal circumstances from a health standpoint.”

Bell insisted he's all right.

“I'm just resting it, to make sure I don't come into the game and hurt it anymore than it was,” he said.

“My knee is fine, and I'll go back to work Monday and get back to practice.”

More bad: The offense settled for two field goals in the first half with Roethlisberger and backup Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback rather than getting into the end zone — a problem offensive coordinator Todd Haley is on record of wanting to fix.

Both times the Steelers found themselves in third-and-relatively-long and couldn't convert.

The good: First-round pick Jarvis Jones recovered a David Carr fumble on his first series, and the Steelers turned that into a second Suisham field goal, a 41-yarder.

“He's doing some nice things, but we have to get more looks at him,” Tomlin said.

The bad: Cornerback William Gay, back with the Steelers following one season as a Stephens-Howling teammate in Arizona, was beaten by Victor Cruz on a 57-yard touchdown pass late in the first quarter that put the Giants up, 10-3.

New York took a 3-0 lead on a Josh Brown 23-yard field goal that resulted from Damontre Moore's clean block of a Drew Butler punt.

More bad: DaMon Cromartie-Smith left a wide-open rush lane for Moore.

“Too many mistakes,” Tomlin said.

“Obviously we had some poor judgment in the kicking game. We had a punt blocked. That can't be winning football.”

In the second half, David Gilreath fumbled away a punt for the second major special teams mistake of the night. But linebacker Adrian Robinson, among a crowded group at outside linebacker, recovered a botched snap in the end zone for a touchdown.

“I don't want to leave here,” Robinson said. “I don't know where I'm at, but hopefully I'm somewhere up top where I'm going to be with the team.”

The unusual: Outside linebacker Jason Worilds, trying to beat out Jones to be James Harrison's replacement, played the entire first half, something a starter almost never does in the first preseason game. He started at right outside linebacker, then switched to the left side when Jones came in.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton, another of the Steelers' deep rookie class, made an 8-yard catch for a first down on fourth-and-2 and also ran 10 yards on a reverse. But, typical of a rookie, he also drew a false-start penalty and appeared to line up incorrectly on another occasion, forcing a timeout.

Roethlisberger went 4 of 8 for 36 yards. He found Brown open near the goal line on what would have been a 20-yard touchdown, but Brown could get only one foot down inbounds.

“I need to be in control of my body on the sidelines,” Brown said.

Gradkowski completed 6 of 11 for 35 yards before being replaced in the third quarter by Landry Jones, the Oklahoma rookie who has been less than impressive during camp. Jones, backed up to his own 4-yard line, promptly was dropped for a safety by Tyler Sash after colliding with Baron Batch on a fumbled handoff.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2beZzbHtv
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-11-2013), Lady Steel (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,998 Posts
My Mood: Goofy
Default Re: Steelers take good with bad in preseason loss to Giants

It was not too unexpected with all the new players on the roster. I have already gone on record saying they will struggle a little early in the year, and continue to get better as the year goes on.

I was disappointed no to see Bell, but the backs looked good. Stephens-Howling was very effective, and Redman made a nice run in traffic early. Dwyer again showed absolutely no feel for the passing game as he was out of position for a screen pass and did nothing with another one. He also dropped a pass that hit him in the hands that would have extended a drive.

The line played pretty well with the run game, but struggled in pass protection. I thought Adams had a pretty good night. He seemed mostly in control, and didn't have any mental errors that I could see. The zone blocking scheme worked the few times they mixed it in. Gilbert had a couple head scratching moments as usual.

I thought the receivers played very well. They caught just about everything. The only downer was Antonio Brown not getting his feet down on a perfectly thrown ball. That should have been a touchdown. Wheaton looked great. He made the mental mistake lining up, but he showed good route running, good hands, great quickness and speed, and the toughness to go over the middle and make a catch knowing he's going to get hit. His run on that short pass was exciting as hell as he accelerated up the field with everything he had trying to break it.

Justin Brown was excellent. He got open, caught everything thrown to him, including a very good high throw that he brought down, showed willingness to block, and didn't make a mental error that I saw. Pretty impressive for a 6th round pick in his first game.

Our special teams were pathetic except for field goals. Gilreath(ugh). The punt block(double ugh!).

The defense was very inconsistent against the pass. The pass rush wasn't good when they had to defeat blockers one on one. They mostly got pressure with scheme.

Jarvis Jones showed some flashes, and actually drew double teams a couple times. He also made a bunch of mistakes in the running game when he would just shoot a gap instead of taking on the block to gain better position for the defense. He also failed to make those plays. He's finding out he's not in college anymore. That's what he did at Georgia, and that won't work here all the time. But his ability could be seen, and it looks like he could play. He just needs to be coached up a bit.

Worilds had some good and bad. He got some pressure and looked strong on some plays, but those two personal fouls are not good. When the coach pulls you out of the game while you're fighting for a starting spot, that's a blow to his fight to be a starter.

The defensive line played pretty well, I thought. They stopped the run well, but still struggled to get any kind of push with the pass rush.

The secondary left men open, and William Gay got badly toasted badly. They need some work, but on most of those completions, there wasn't much pressure.

Last edited by pczach; 08-11-2013 at 05:55 AM.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (08-11-2013), Steelstoned1972 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

well I know one thing, show me some more Stephens-Howling and dump Batch and Dwyer.

and yeah - zero pressure on defense, Jarvis looked pretty bad on pass rishes - and since dumbass Worilds will be chained inside Tomlin's doghouse for who knows how long, show me more Adrian Robinson!

and while we're at it, fire that fucking new S.T. "coach" - they were horrendous, as usual

1st string OL looked good run-blocking, the pass blocking was more Run Ben run!

and Wheaton and Justin Brown made some nice catches
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020

http://triblive.com/mobile/4491319-9...s-worilds-ball

For those who thought jj looked good and there more then one of these floating around
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,502 Times in 786 Posts
My Mood: Hot

GOOD: Zone Blocking Scheme - DD was noticeable
LSH - shifty, quick, patient
Wheaton and Justin Brown - both show a lot of potential
Inside Linebacker depth might be a nice surprise

BAD: Worilds - wtf?? Does he want to make the team?
D-line - good versus run, no pass rush at all, Keisel takes up space...period.

UGLY: Special Teams - Blocked punt, fumbled punt, dumb penalties.....all with a new
coach
Wasted timeouts

Batch and Gilreath can pack their bags.

Just glad it's only the 1st game and doesn't count.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (08-11-2013), Lady Steel (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
http://triblive.com/mobile/4491319-9...s-worilds-ball

For those who thought jj looked good and there more then one of these floating around
Jones , will be fine. He's thinking too much. Same can be said for Thomas. He had a quiet night. I think I seen one tackle. I thought Vince Williams looked good. Ta'amu settled in nicely in the 2nd half.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020

I will bet right now jones won't be fine.
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

Alameda taamu got good push on the line even when he was double teamed. Gilreath sucks.

I don't think al woods cares that ziggy hood and Cameron Heyward were first round picks
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
well I know one thing, show me some more Stephens-Howling and dump Batch and Dwyer.

and yeah - zero pressure on defense, Jarvis looked pretty bad on pass rishes - and since dumbass Worilds will be chained inside Tomlin's doghouse for who knows how long, show me more Adrian Robinson!

and while we're at it, fire that fucking new S.T. "coach" - they were horrendous, as usual

1st string OL looked good run-blocking, the pass blocking was more Run Ben run!

and Wheaton and Justin Brown made some nice catches
Good post.

I didn't notice Jarvis looking bad.

Quote:
Tony Hipchest

Alameda taamu got good push on the line even when he was double teamed. Gilreath sucks.

I don't think al woods cares that ziggy hood and Cameron Heyward were first round picks
It sounds to me like most people DIDN'T think Taamu looked effective. He has improving to do for sure but looks more fit and I think he might be part of a good 1-2 punch at DT.

Woods is also a pleasant surprise. Thank god that sometimes when you have a 1st round dud you sometimes have a late round long shot with heart and attitude to make up for it. THIS is what I love the most. Seeing an under the radar player make it in the NFL through sheer determinationa and hard work.

I saw a lot of good last night with my only big concern actually being the stupid mistakes on special teams.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
I will bet right now jones won't be fine.
U can bet if you want my friend. I am not gonna bury him after his first game. Our schemes and coaches have produced pro bowl linebackers from converted college defensive ends. I think they got this. Troy and James did not crush it the first time they took the field either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
EbonySteel86 (08-13-2013)