Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Steelers take good with bad in preseason loss to Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
We certainly need to work on pass blocking, however the Giants Dline is probably one of the best out there. If we can clean up the stupid I think we will have a decent year.
When Ben's short pass to Brown was knocked down in the first quarter the KDKA commentator (it was great NFL Network had the KDKA feed - the commentary was mostly about the Steelers) said that had happened a number of times in camp - wonder if Ben is developing a habit of throwing more 3/4 rather than over the top on shorter passes?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Have to hope shemarko is for real with troys injury history as of late. He may have to play. PLEASE don't be when we play New England.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Steel and Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24939

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
DL rarely if EVER starts a rookie on his defense...especially at the LB position. Knowing the defense is more important than giving us the occasional big play. Allowing the big play is more common with rookies that don't understand DL's defense...and history supports that fact... DL will not start Jarvis for the first 4 games unless injuries force his hand.

Sounds to me like Bell was benched in this game for not giving his all in practice on Friday. Injury my ars. That's a message to Bell that he'd better step it up. Don't be shocked if Bell isn't a starter either.... it's obvious that the team planned on handing him the job.
Hey tomlin! When did you join the forum?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Steel and Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24939

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
I will bet right now jones won't be fine.
You probably said the same thing Troy in his 1st preseason game.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
LgFriess
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18715
My Mood: Cheerful

Just finished watching the game.

Woods stood out the most to me. He just looks like he belongs on the field. Just seems to have a "badass" presence around him. I hope to see him play more against 1st team opposition and see if he still looks like that.

Jones looks good in that he seems to be in the right area... but it looks like he's not use to the speed or something and was missing angles to the ball carrier left and right. Like, he's around the play but just a step or two slow. That will improve.

The running game looked really good, especially compared to last year. I'm very excited about this O-Line. It's so young and they're just going to get better and better. Gilbert is a bit iffy. I think Beachum will end up taking over eventually. He probably would already if it wasn't for his versatility. If other capable backups emerge, Beachum might get a shot. I CANNOT wait to see Bell running behind these guys!

Justin Brown! Another guy that's earned his way into better competition if you ask me. Lets see what he can do against 1st teamers. Looks like a stud WR to these eyes.

Anybody get a look at Golic Jr? I didn't get a chance to see him. Hope he makes the team.

Edit; Forgot to add that ST's looked awful but I liked Reggie Dunn. Not that there was a ton of him to see but he looked confident catching the ball and takes off like a rocket when he gets a shot. You know how sometimes you're just waiting for the KR to bobble the ball, or look down field too soon or whatever... Dunn looks like the ball is going to stick to him no matter what.
LgFriess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
When Ben's short pass to Brown was knocked down in the first quarter the KDKA commentator (it was great NFL Network had the KDKA feed - the commentary was mostly about the Steelers) said that had happened a number of times in camp - wonder if Ben is developing a habit of throwing more 3/4 rather than over the top on shorter passes?
Yeah, Edmund Nelson and Pomp are great in the booth. Even Pomp is very knowledgeable and fair. Nelson did mention Jarvis Jones knocking down many of Ben's screens.

Everybody and their mother saw that screen coming. Way, way too predictable, even judging by the wideouts stances. I even called it before it was run. We are an ATROCIOUS screen-team. I think our last good screen series came when Willie Parker was holding down the fort. Since then, we can't execute a screen for the life of us and Dwyer has some PISS-POOR hands. Not good in Haley's system. Can't wait to see Bell in that category.

There were a few plays where I was kind of shocked to see Ben NOT audible out to the stand-up play (which he loves.) Giants corners were playing off all night, especially in short yardage situations.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

My only analysis of this game is that if Brown toe taps and makes that TD catch, we are all probably singing a much different tune. That's why preseason is so important. By Tennessee I think Brown gets his feet down. The only thing that really bothers me is our lack of pressure on the QB. Jones and Worilds played the 1st half and not much pressure there. I know Worilds had a sack but I was pretty disappointed in that. I thought the defenses were supposed too be ahead of the offense? I don't know if they did but I would have loved to see DL let Jones go pure-pass rusher for a few plays. Maybe he did but I didn't see any results. Either way, its the 1st game and I'm pumped football is back!!!!!! Go Steelers!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
Sharkissle29 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
With regard to it taking time to learn LeBeau's offense, Mark Kaboly of the Trib-Review continues to be underwhelmed by Shamarko based on this tweet during last night's game

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib
Shamarko Thomas hasn't been of field much at all. IMO, he's been struggling in camp.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...84638605795329

Unfortunately, with the current talent level the Steelers do not have the luxury of waiting for the rookies to wait until next year to contribute on both sides of the ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I agree. As much as I'm rooting for this kid, he's really struggling. I spent two days at camp last week and watched him quite a bit. He looked lost in pass coverage and was beaten consistently. I hope he figures it out soon.
Troy struggled year one too. I wouldn't push the panic button just yet.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-11-2013), Sharkissle29 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Buddhist

Troy struggled year one too. I wouldn't push the panic button just yet.

Our defense is complex.

It takes time to learn and for the game to slow down.

This is no different than what other DB's (like Troy as you said) have gone through.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-11-2013), harrison'samonster (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts

Not surprised Jarvis struggled in the run game. He better get stronger and learn to take on people. That ole' stuff isn't going to work consistently in the NFL. Worlids will continue to get the nod until Jarvis can fill out his game

I do think our coaches if they're smart can get some splash plays out of him with the right packages......Jarvis has a TroyP like nose for the ball

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-11-2013)