Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Member Number: 24990
Default 1 thing not being discussed about game 1

I mean, a game decided by back ups isn't all that relevant. We know that. However, reading the stories out there, it is being teed up as the Steelers didn't play well. I mean, it was fairly sloppy but as I re-watched it, I realized, if both teams kept the starters in, it was likely that the Pgh rushing game would have worn down the Giants, and there would be all kinds of opportunities for plays down field as the game went on. The rushing game was working for the most part. And if we enter the regular season being that effective, this team will be tough to beat. That rushing attack would set up for lots of opportunities later on. But with the preseason, obviously, you pull the starters, so we didn't have the chance to take advantage. Had we, it would have been a whole different ball game.
Da Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Pimp For This Useful Post:
VaDave (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,123 Times in 2,533 Posts
My Mood: Cold
Default Re: 1 thing not being discussed about game 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Pimp View Post
but as I re-watched it...
Wow. Are you recently divorced with too much time on your hands?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

7 days till the next game

I fully expect masters thesis dissertations from Game 1 from all of you on my desk by Wednesday

but hey - did those "special teams" suck or what?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
No, I'm just a real fan. What would you rather watch? Jay Leno or re-watch a Steeler game after not having any for 8 months, fast-forward button in hand, or Jay Leno?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da Pimp For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (08-12-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (08-12-2013), tanda10506 (08-12-2013), VaDave (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
What did you watch last night?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Das pimp got the stutters?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

this thread is going nowhere fast - here, this might help

Pittsburgh Steelers: Stock Rising, Falling After Preseason Week 1

Stock Rising

1. LaRod Stephens-Howling, RB

The much-anticipated debut of rookie RB Le'Veon Bell fell far short of expectations as the former Michigan State Spartan was held out of the game with a sore knee. But one running back did step up against the Giants. And it wasn't who anyone expected.

After signing with the Steelers in the offseason, the former Arizona Cardinal and Pitt Panther was no lock to make the team. Pittsburgh has a deep backfield and the fight for a roster spot will come down to the wire.

If Stephens-Howling keeps on turning out games like this, however, it'll be hard for Pittsburgh to part ways with the veteran.

2. Al Woods, DL

Coming into the 2013 season, one of the biggest things the Steelers' defense needed to improve on was their defensive line play. The team barely added anything to the unit in the offseason meaning they needed to rely on help from within.

They may have found it.

Al Woods, a fifth-year veteran, had maybe the best game of his professional career on Saturday and the best of any Steelers defender. Woods recorded nine total tackles, two of which came behind the backfield, and a sack on backup QB Ryan Nassib.

Woods has worked both inside and outside this offseason, preparing himself for what looks like an increase in playing time. With Ziggy Hood's underwhelming play continuing and an expiring contract on the books, Pittsburgh may look more to Woods for help on the outside.

But he'll have to keep playing at a high level if he wants to crack the starting lineup.

Stock Falling

1. Jason Worilds, OLB

Despite recording a sack on Giants backup QB David Carr, Saturday wasn't a very good night for Jason Worilds.

On a single Giants drive, Worilds was flagged for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness, all within two plays of each other.

It didn't get better for the veteran outside linebacker after head coach Mike Tomlin yanked him from the game and ripped into him on the sidelines. Not a good sign for a guy entrenched in a battle for a starting spot.

But mental mistakes aren't often tolerated by Tomlin or the Steelers. It also helps Worilds that camp-combatant Jarvis Jones did little to light the world on fire.

Worilds will still enter Week 2 of the preseason as the starter, but he needs to step his game up big time. This is his best and maybe final chance to make an impact for the Steelers. So far, not so good for Worilds.

2. Jonathan Dwyer, RB

Running back Jonathan Dwyer was handed a golden opportunity on Saturday night when it became apparent that Le'Veon Bell would be held out. All eyes would be on him, and he had a shot to take a commanding lead in the running back battle.

Needless to say, he didn't step up to the plate.

(more)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pittsbu...164600680.html
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

Great points. The running game was impressive, and the Giants are not bottom feeders. I feel they would have won had the game been played entirely by starters. But it is just preseason, so I guess it really does not matter.

What will work to the Steelers advantage is having Bell motivated by some of the effective running of the other backs. He is going to have really show something now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Pimp View Post
I mean, a game decided by back ups isn't all that relevant. We know that. However, reading the stories out there, it is being teed up as the Steelers didn't play well. I mean, it was fairly sloppy but as I re-watched it, I realized, if both teams kept the starters in, it was likely that the Pgh rushing game would have worn down the Giants, and there would be all kinds of opportunities for plays down field as the game went on. The rushing game was working for the most part. And if we enter the regular season being that effective, this team will be tough to beat. That rushing attack would set up for lots of opportunities later on. But with the preseason, obviously, you pull the starters, so we didn't have the chance to take advantage. Had we, it would have been a whole different ball game.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

If anybody watched the Pats play...

Brady was using rookie WR's and turning them into play-making machines....and going 5 wide inside the 20 - too bad we can't score in the red zone.

But his RB ripped open some holes to get things started...that's why we need a big time running game and NOT BEING AFRAID of scoring from anywhere on the field.

That's why I hate Haley and the dink&dunk - they look afraid of throwing the ball deep, not just preseason, but all last year - you won't score many points that way
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
Terminator (08-13-2013), zcoop (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,963 Times in 4,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
If anybody watched the Pats play...

Brady was using rookie WR's and turning them into play-making machines....and going 5 wide inside the 20 - too bad we can't score in the red zone.

But his RB ripped open some holes to get things started...that's why we need a big time running game and NOT BEING AFRAID of scoring from anywhere on the field.

That's why I hate Haley and the dink&dunk - they look afraid of throwing the ball deep, not just preseason, but all last year - you won't score many points that way
Haley is going to tip his hand on what the playbook is in the first preseason game in which the only focus was to run the ball? We know Ben can throw. We know AB and Manny have soft hands. We don't know if the ZBS scheme was going to work (it did, fyi) and we didn't know how LaRod would run.

I don't know why Pimp is getting bashed here. I agree with him. I didn't rewatch it, but I don't have to because I know he was right. I thought a lot of the same things. Granted, JPP wasn't playing which would've added another dimension to the fold but nonetheless, our running game with (in all likelihood) our change of pace RB did look good.

Y'all need to lighten up.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
VaDave (08-13-2013)