Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,705 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers waiting for glut of quality running backs to sort themselves out

By Alan Robinson

Published: Monday, August 12, 2013, 8:24 p.m.
Updated 6 hours ago

Five running backs. One football. Two weeks.

That's the Steelers' dilemma.

No team has run the ball better over the last 43 seasons than the Steelers — no one is close — but few ran it worse last season. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said they've got to get it fixed, and now, for the passing game to thrive, but what remains unsettled is who will be the primary running back Sept. 8 against Tennessee.

Le'Veon Bell, a rookie but still the favorite? Isaac Redman, who showed during a 147-yard game last season that he can be a force? Jonathan Dwyer, who is competing not just for a starting job but an job, period? LaRod Stephens-Howling, who will get the ball primarily on third down, not first or second? Or even Baron Batch, who earned his way last season with his special teams play?

With the starters unlikely to play much Aug. 29 at Carolina, the games Monday at Washington and Aug. 24 against the Chiefs could sort out the Steelers' complicated, unwieldy and, the way it is currently constructed, unworkable excess of running backs.

“I've got to go out there and earn the job,” Bell said Monday. “They're not going to give it to me regardless of where I was drafted or what the team needs.”

All of the backs will get time with the starters the next two weeks. The two games won't solely determine the starter — Haley said even walkthroughs are being thoroughly evaluated — but game action almost always dictates the final word.

And who will be the last man running?

“I wouldn't read anything into it in terms of the rotation, but the outcome of it will be a clear indicator of who's got the ability and how they rank,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said Monday. “Visually, you'll be able to see some of that with how they perform with the first team offensive line.”

Bell was expected to get most of the first-team carries Saturday against the Giants, but a bruised knee kept him out. Stephens-Howling, the former Pitt running back who previously played with the Cardinals, took advantage of Bell's absence by carrying seven times for 40 yards behind an offensive line that repeatedly manhandled the Giants' defensive line.

“LaRod threw his hat into the ring and got us excited, which he's been doing out here,” Haley said. “When it happens in a game, that's a good thing.”

Redman started but got only two carries before being pulled, and he said it felt like “someone giving you a steak, then giving you two pieces and pulling it back.”

Bell, the second-round draft pick who led the Big Ten in rushing last season by averaging 137.92 yards per game for Michigan State, is exciting the Steelers at camp with his power running and attention to detail.

“I'm extremely pleased with the way he works, the way he's handling himself, the way he's preparing,” Wilson said. “His mindset is always focusing in on assignments and he hasn't had a mental error the entire camp, which is rare. I've never in my 16 years in the league seen that happen.”

Still, Wilson said, “That position, they determine it based on how they perform. I don't think that will change.

“The grades will pan out and guys who can make plays will make plays. The guys who continue to make mistakes and don't make plays, it will all sort itself out.”

The Steelers already know what Jonathan Dwyer (623 yards, 4.0 average in 2012) and Redman (410 yards, 3.7 average) can do. But if Bell can do what the Steelers anticipate he can do — and that's be a feature back-quality runner — it might not make any difference.

“Oh, gosh, I would have loved to have seen him Saturday night,” Wilson said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2bq0WvIqO
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: Steelers waiting for glut of quality running backs to sort themselves out

A glut? Not hardly. Other than Bell who has not done anything in the league yet and LaRod who looked good in preseason game 1 where is this glut of quality?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,485 Times in 3,697 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Steelers waiting for glut of quality running backs to sort themselves out

I love the way they mention Redman's single 147 yard game and say he proved he could be a force. Really? One game?

They have a lot of running backs. They don't have a lot of star caliber running backs. They have one, and he's a rookie.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,852 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I love the way they mention Redman's single 147 yard game and say he proved he could be a force. Really? One game?

They have a lot of running backs. They don't have a lot of star caliber running backs. They have one, and he's a rookie.
we hope

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,914 Times in 986 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Let's paraphrase the thread title to make it more truthful.

The Steelers have a glut of bodies at the RB position and are hoping to find a quality #1 RB.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-13-2013), Vis (08-13-2013)