Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,662 Times in 2,543 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Do they go too far with wanting local talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Pimp View Post
There is nothing special about people who grew up in WPA. I am from there. There doesn't appear to anything inherently advanced about people from the area.
I'm sorry you feel that way about yourself, but I'm pretty awesome.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (08-15-2013), Buddha Bus (08-15-2013), EbonySteel86 (08-15-2013), fer522 (08-15-2013), harrison'samonster (08-14-2013), MDSteel15 (08-15-2013), pczach (08-15-2013), SteelCityMom (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
6RINGS
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24842

Tony Dorsett is also a western pa native.
6RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Besides the pedigree of players from that area, the reason is obvious from a business strategy standpoint.

The Rooneys are playing the basic business management strategy of attracting local employees, who might have ties to the WPA area besides just their job being there, like family ties for example. It makes it easier to retain employees and the Rooneys foster a "family atmosphere" by being personally involved in the lives of the players' families.

Players who have roots elsewhere, might be more inclined to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Mike Wallace is the latest perfect example. He was from Louisiana, and we can ascertain from some of his comments, he was not fond of the cold winters or local demographic. That's why his ass plays in the jungle that is Miami now.

However, for a guy like Gradkowski, it feels like coming home, which it is. They are less likely to take bigger contracts with the Jets or Dolphins, in favor of staying for the hometown discount..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-15-2013), EbonySteel86 (08-15-2013), MDSteel15 (08-15-2013), pczach (08-15-2013), SteelCityMom (08-15-2013), teegre (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Besides the pedigree of players from that area, the reason is obvious from a business strategy standpoint.

The Rooneys are playing the basic business management strategy of attracting local employees, who might have ties to the WPA area besides just their job being there, like family ties for example. It makes it easier to retain employees and the Rooneys foster a "family atmosphere" by being personally involved in the lives of the players' families.

Players who have roots elsewhere, might be more inclined to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Mike Wallace is the latest perfect example. He was from Louisiana, and we can ascertain from some of his comments, he was not fond of the cold winters or local demographic. That's why his ass plays in the jungle that is Miami now.

However, for a guy like Gradkowski, it feels like coming home, which it is. They are less likely to take bigger contracts with the Jets or Dolphins, in favor of staying for the hometown discount..
Good point, Riddle. It's the same reason we lost Keenan Lewis. We didn't even try to make him an offer because I believe his heart was in going home to Louisiana.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
teegre (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,790 Times in 3,798 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:

Good post Riddle. I was going to say basically the same thing, but when I read your post I didn't have to.

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Seems like a feather in the cap if they pan out to me....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,504 Times in 10,346 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Local guys don't have to travel far to attend camp... and not far to travel, in order to get back home, when cut.

The Chargers routinely have Aztecs in camp: some pan out (Kassim Osgood) and many, many others simply have a preseason to brag about.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
MDSteel15 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:

Excellent point!!!! We believe in keeping our own, so keeping our own who are actually from WPA who basically rooted for the Black &Gold all their life makes it a little bit more easier to retain. Example: my son plays Pee Wee ball and he had a chance to play for the local Hurricanes team or the local Steelers team. Well since we are Steeler fans, he couldn't WAIT to put on a Steelers helmet and he plays like a little man child when wear that uniform. Other coaches try to recruit him, but he wants to be a STEELER!!!! We bleed Black & Gold ova here baby, and it ain't pretty!!!!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Local guys don't have to travel far to attend camp... and not far to travel, in order to get back home, when cut.

The Chargers routinely have Aztecs in camp: some pan out (Kassim Osgood) and many, many others simply have a preseason to brag about.
I'd be willing to bet the Cowboys, Saints, and Dolphins (and some other teams) do the same as well.

It would just be stupid to not try to draw from the talent you have around you if you can.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOU GREW UP!
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-15-2013), harrison'samonster (08-15-2013)