Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,341 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers veteran receiver Cotchery leads by example

By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Thursday, August 15, 2013 , 10:51 p.m.
Updated 5 hours ago

For some veterans assured of roster spots, there isn't a sense of urgency in the Steelers' training camp at St. Vincent.

Seldom are their hands soiled by the dirty work of contact drills. Occasionally, they are given a breather to refresh their aging legs.

That, however, isn't the case with 31-year-old receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

The 10-year veteran begins his third season with the Steelers feeling far more pressure than last year. He is the indisputable leader of a talented, yet young receiving corps now that 12-year veteran Plaxico Burress has been lost for the season with a shoulder injury.

On Thursday, Cotchery led by example.

He got his hands dirty. He tutored young receivers still trying to recognize NFL coverage schemes.

“I'm trying to help the young guys as much as I can,” said Cotchery, who worked with rookie Markus Wheaton for a half-hour past practice. “I've seen young guys come in, and the expectations are they are the future. I've seen veteran guys not give them advice, and it shouldn't be like that.”

The Steelers' starters — Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders — have played a combined six seasons. David Gilreath, a second-year free agent, is the only other receiver on the roster to have dressed for a regular-season game.

Cotchery began the preseason as a candidate to replace injured tight end Heath Miller as the Steelers' possession receiver. Suddenly, his role has been altered in a rather complex offense in which experience often trumps speed.

“The past of couple of years, I haven't been on the field because these young guys (Sanders and Brown) kept me off the field,” said Cotchery, who has moved back into the slot now that Sanders has moved outside. “I'm locked into the slot, which gives me more of an opportunity to contribute.”

Cotchery, a fourth-round pick of the Jets in 2004, had only 33 receptions the previous two seasons. But his value can't be measured solely by numbers.

Instead, it's the intangibles — leadership, downfield blocking and poise under pressure. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley is likely to involve him more in the passing game, yet he'll be expected to groom several young players — Wheaton, Justin Brown, Derek Moye and Reggie Dunn.

And those young receivers are expected to get far more scrutiny before the roster is trimmed to 75 on Aug. 27.

“I think the young guys understand what they are facing,” Cotchery said. “They came in here with the right attitude to earn a roster spot, but the demands have gone to another level with Plaxico going down.”

Cotchery and Burress were teammates for only three days with the New York Jets before Cotchery was released prior to the preseason opener in 2011.

“We were walking through plays together, but never lined up in a game,” Cotchery said. “So, I was really looking forward to playing with him this season.

“I thought the organization did a good job strategically of placing people in position to help the offense score points. He was a big body that could still get it done, especially in the red zone.”

Burress' experience and size provided an added dimension for a team that struggled mightily sometimes inside the red zone. Ironically, the 6-foot-5 Burress suffered his season-ending shoulder injury during practice while trying to catch a pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger near the goal line.

The Steelers, of course, are looking toward the future. They are not without height on the flanks. Former Penn State teammates – 6-3 Justin Brown and 6-5 Moye – have proven they can catch the ball in the red zone during practice.

Justin Brown and Moye must take advantage of their opportunities in the remaining preseason games, including Monday night's game against the Redskins at FedEx Field. With Burress out, one or both have a realistic shot at making the 53-man active roster for the season opener against the Titans on Sept. 8.

Cotchery might not be the red-zone receiver the Steelers are looking for, but already he's proven an invaluable asset on a team loaded with young receivers.

“I've played in a lot of games and gained a lot of experience over the years,” he said. “I've seen enough things that I can share with them. I've seen so many looks that I know what's going on when a guy lines up over me.

“So, I try to share that with a young guy like Wheaton. If I'm not sharing everything I know — as well as making plays myself — then I'm not helping us accomplish our goal of winning the Super Bowl.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2c7YNLh7E
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,564 Times in 3,082 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Steelers veteran receiver Cotchery leads by example

Glad to hear that Cotch is mentoring these young receivers. He's a class guy.

I wonder if 6 WR will make the roster to start the year? It seems like a longshot with what appears to be a stronger emphasis on the run game, but with them being so thin at TE I guess it's a possibility.

Last edited by pczach; 08-16-2013 at 04:58 AM.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,773 Times in 834 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Cotchery is another guy that fits the Steelers mold of being selfless. He isn't a Terrell Owens that thinks he's worth big time money, and that he's too good to mentor the younger guys. He's a class act that selflessly steps up and mentors the younger generation of NFL players. Letting Cotchery go was one of the stupidest moves the Jets ever made. His selflessness is a leadership quality that the Jets are sorely lacking. All the better for us!
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,675 Times in 7,883 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Six WRs:
AB, Sanders, & Wheaton are given.

Cotchery is very likely.

I'd like to see them keep both Justin Brown and J.D. Woods.

Can Gilreath go on the practice squad again? (What are the rules about that?)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote