Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,428 Times in 4,019 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Steelers Will Have Heated Competition For Backup Roles Along DL

Steelers Will Have Heated Competition For Backup Roles Along Defensive Line

Aug 16th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

Pittsburgh’s starting defensive line appears to be set in stone at the moment.

Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel will man the defensive end spots once again this fall, while Steve McLendon is set to take over for “Big Snack” at the nose. 2011 first round pick Cameron Heyward is set to be the primary backup at defensive end and should hopefully chip in here and there to keep Hood and “The Beard” fresh during the 2013 campaign.

While those particular spots are basically nailed down, the competition for spots on the 53-man roster and practice squad figures to be very heated between the rest of Pittsburgh’s backup defensive linemen over the next two and a half weeks.

Before I begin, I would like to say that Al Woods has emerged as one of the most pleasant surprises for the Steelers during this offseason. A former practice squad player who has paid his dues and climbed up Pittsburgh’s depth chart since 2011, the lineman’s hard work and tutelage under his position coach John Mitchell has definitely paid off since he began his latest stint with Pittsburgh. It also has not hurt that the former 2010 fourth round pick has put his versatility on display during this particular offseason.

A defensive end in 2011 and 2012, Woods worked extensively as the Steelers’ second-team nose tackle during OTAs. Since training camp began though, Woods has done a solid job as Hood’s backup at left defensive end. Woods then continued his solid play when he shined in last Saturday’s game against the Giants when he logged nine tackles and one sack. At this point, I see no reason why Woods will be unable to entrench himself as Hood’s primary backup on the left side.

If the Steelers elect to carry another a fifth defensive end for depth purposes though, then it will be up to 2013 seventh round pick Nick Williams and 2013 UDFA signee Brian Arnfelt to duke it out for an extended role on the team.

Arnfelt got a head start on Williams when recorded two tackles in Pittsburgh’s first preseason game, but Williams should be able to make his debut this Monday against Washington. Like the battle at the nose tackle I will discuss below, both players are promising and both have practice squad eligibility.

Thus, the Steelers’ coaching staff could be inclined to stash one or both players on the practice squad for a season to learn under Mitchell and develop. Williams in particular would benefit, especially since he is newer to the game of football but is such a physically athletic specimen (6’4″ 309 lbs.) who received high praise from Mitchell after he was drafted. Arnfelt also has the type of size and deceptive athletic ability one looks for in a 5-technique (6’4″ 298 lbs.), and I think that he could become a solid role player for Pittsburgh in the trenches if he is given a couple years to develop.

As far as the interior of Pittsburgh’s defensive line is concerned, the nose tackle battle between Hebron Fangupo and Alameda Ta’amu should be very intriguing to follow as well.

While Fangupo appeared to be leading the competition before the first preseason game after Ta’amu spent much of the offseason dealing with legal issues and on the PUP list, Ta’amu has come on strong lately and did a fine job against the Giants in Pittsburgh’s first preseason contest. Luckily for the Steelers, both Ta’amu and Fangupo have practice squad eligibility.

If the Steelers are fortunate enough, then they might just be able to sneak the loser of this competition on to the practice squad if they can clear waivers. If both play well during the rest of the preseason though, then I am sure that another team with a need for depth at nose tackle will try to sign one of them on the waiver wire.

Final Thoughts

Although they do not figure to see much playing time during the 2013 regular season, these backups do not need to look any further than ahead of themselves on the depth chart to see some late-round and undrafted success stories in the forms of Keisel and McLendon. Even Woods appears primed to step into a much larger role this fall, and he was an afterthought to many before last year began.

Mitchell has worked his magic and helped to develop unheralded players before, and these backups are in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh to hone their skills and improve in time. Of course, those that are deemed worthy will stick around past the preseason. Thus, the mad scramble for spots on the practice squad and the 53-man roster should continue to heat up between the aforementioned players over the coming weeks.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/08/16...efensive-line/
Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,502 Times in 786 Posts
My Mood: Hot
Default Re: Steelers Will Have Heated Competition For Backup Roles Along DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers Will Have Heated Competition For Backup Roles Along Defensive Line

Aug 16th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

Pittsburgh’s starting defensive line appears to be set in stone at the moment.

Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel will man the defensive end spots once again this fall, while Steve McLendon is set to take over for “Big Snack” at the nose. 2011 first round pick Cameron Heyward is set to be the primary backup at defensive end and should hopefully chip in here and there to keep Hood and “The Beard” fresh during the 2013 campaign.

While those particular spots are basically nailed down, the competition for spots on the 53-man roster and practice squad figures to be very heated between the rest of Pittsburgh’s backup defensive linemen over the next two and a half weeks.

Before I begin, I would like to say that Al Woods has emerged as one of the most pleasant surprises for the Steelers during this offseason. A former practice squad player who has paid his dues and climbed up Pittsburgh’s depth chart since 2011, the lineman’s hard work and tutelage under his position coach John Mitchell has definitely paid off since he began his latest stint with Pittsburgh. It also has not hurt that the former 2010 fourth round pick has put his versatility on display during this particular offseason.

A defensive end in 2011 and 2012, Woods worked extensively as the Steelers’ second-team nose tackle during OTAs. Since training camp began though, Woods has done a solid job as Hood’s backup at left defensive end. Woods then continued his solid play when he shined in last Saturday’s game against the Giants when he logged nine tackles and one sack. At this point, I see no reason why Woods will be unable to entrench himself as Hood’s primary backup on the left side.

If the Steelers elect to carry another a fifth defensive end for depth purposes though, then it will be up to 2013 seventh round pick Nick Williams and 2013 UDFA signee Brian Arnfelt to duke it out for an extended role on the team.

Arnfelt got a head start on Williams when recorded two tackles in Pittsburgh’s first preseason game, but Williams should be able to make his debut this Monday against Washington. Like the battle at the nose tackle I will discuss below, both players are promising and both have practice squad eligibility.

Thus, the Steelers’ coaching staff could be inclined to stash one or both players on the practice squad for a season to learn under Mitchell and develop. Williams in particular would benefit, especially since he is newer to the game of football but is such a physically athletic specimen (6’4″ 309 lbs.) who received high praise from Mitchell after he was drafted. Arnfelt also has the type of size and deceptive athletic ability one looks for in a 5-technique (6’4″ 298 lbs.), and I think that he could become a solid role player for Pittsburgh in the trenches if he is given a couple years to develop.

As far as the interior of Pittsburgh’s defensive line is concerned, the nose tackle battle between Hebron Fangupo and Alameda Ta’amu should be very intriguing to follow as well.

While Fangupo appeared to be leading the competition before the first preseason game after Ta’amu spent much of the offseason dealing with legal issues and on the PUP list, Ta’amu has come on strong lately and did a fine job against the Giants in Pittsburgh’s first preseason contest. Luckily for the Steelers, both Ta’amu and Fangupo have practice squad eligibility.

If the Steelers are fortunate enough, then they might just be able to sneak the loser of this competition on to the practice squad if they can clear waivers. If both play well during the rest of the preseason though, then I am sure that another team with a need for depth at nose tackle will try to sign one of them on the waiver wire.

Final Thoughts

Although they do not figure to see much playing time during the 2013 regular season, these backups do not need to look any further than ahead of themselves on the depth chart to see some late-round and undrafted success stories in the forms of Keisel and McLendon. Even Woods appears primed to step into a much larger role this fall, and he was an afterthought to many before last year began.

Mitchell has worked his magic and helped to develop unheralded players before, and these backups are in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh to hone their skills and improve in time. Of course, those that are deemed worthy will stick around past the preseason. Thus, the mad scramble for spots on the practice squad and the 53-man roster should continue to heat up between the aforementioned players over the coming weeks.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/08/16...efensive-line/

And once again our defensive ends will be unable to pressure the QB.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
LgFriess (08-18-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
LgFriess
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18715
My Mood: Cheerful

If Woods doesn't get some playing time with the 1's over the rest of the preseason, then somebody is making a mistake. The guy owned the Giants game. Best player I saw all night. Lets see what he can do against the best. I don't care if Ziggy and Heyward have higher draft status, this guy is turning into a beast.

Well, maybe anyway. Let him go after RGIII and lets see!
LgFriess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LgFriess For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Before I begin, I would like to say that Al Woods has emerged as one of the most pleasant surprises for the Steelers during this offseason.

A former practice squad player who has paid his dues and climbed up Pittsburgh’s depth chart since 2011, the lineman’s hard work and tutelage under his position coach John Mitchell has definitely paid off since he began his latest stint with Pittsburgh.

It also has not hurt that the former 2010 fourth round pick has put his versatility on display during this particular offseason.
I love hearing this.

While it is fun talk about great prospects from the drafts like Jones and Bell every year what I enjoy more than anything else is the stories about the unheralded long shots like Woods that end up being successful in the NFL not through raw ability but through sheer hard work and determination.

No one is pulling for Woods more than I am.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,909 Times in 866 Posts
My Mood: Cool

I wish our DB's had the same heated competiton
BKAnthem (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

This is proof positive that Hood and Heyward were wasted 1st round picks...the D Line would be just as good without them, this type of D doesn't need a hi pick on the line..just a strong, hungry one.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
SteelStompOut
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25073

Im itching to see what Al Woods does against the Number Ones on Monday night. Not only am I rooting for a roster spot but im rooting for potential take over as a starter maybe? If he comes out and has a strong showing, would you bench ziggy?
SteelStompOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
This is proof positive that Hood and Heyward were wasted 1st round picks...the D Line would be just as good without them, this type of D doesn't need a hi pick on the line..just a strong, hungry one.
I wouldn't say they are wasted draft picks, I would say there has been no opportunities for them to prove what they are capable of. I believe they could be a very integral part of the defense if given the chance to play.
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,937 Times in 7,574 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I am a fan of Ta'amu.

It took Al Woods three years (& four teams) to figure things out. Likewise, I foresee Ta'amu as the eventual starter at NT.

I'd love to see the starting DL for the 2014 season be: Heyward, Ta'amu, Woods (w/ McClendon rotating along all three positions).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote