Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,610 Posts
Default Here’s Why Federal Workers Don’t Want Obamacare

suck it up bitches....

Quote:
Here’s Why Federal Workers Don’t Want Obamacare

If the President, Congress, and the Supreme Court, along with all their staffs, are required to go under Affordable Healthcare Act, I would not object,” read one response to a survey conducted by FedSmith.com, a portal for information regarding issues — like the Affordable Care Act — that impact federal workers. “But if it’s not good enough for the heads of the 3 branches of Government, it isn’t good enough for the rest of us.”
There were more than 800 written responses in total, a great majority of them expressing the same idea: Federal employees are not pleased at having the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program replaced by Obamacare.
The underlying complaint running through a majority of these opinions was that members of Congress, Capitol Hill staff, and Obama administration appointees will not be affected by potential Obamacare flaws — like premium hikes — as much as the average American.
“When they ‘live it,’ they will know how to improve it,” another respondent wrote.
The survey of 2,500 federal employees and retirees found that 92.3 percent of them believe workers and retirees should keep keep their current health insurance and not be forced to purchase coverage through the exchanges. Only 2.9 percent thought the opposite. The preference for the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program was even more obvious when survey respondents were asked whether they think federal employees should carry their health insurance into retirement, as is the current policy, or enroll in Medicare; 96.1 percent said the current system should not be changed.
When Congress first passed the health care reform, known colloquially as Obamacare, three years ago, attached was an amendment requiring all lawmakers and their staffs to purchase health care insurance via the online exchanges. This meant lawmakers would lose the generous coverage they were granted under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program – where the government subsidized as much as 75 percent of the premiums.
It was written into the bill in the first place on the theory that if Congress was going to make Americans live under the provisions of Obamacare, those who authored it should, as well. But because the language of the amendment contained no guidance on whether the federal contributions toward their health plans was allowed, Congress began to worry.
However, the Office of Personnel Management, with President Barack Obama’s consent, ruled August 7 that Congress members and staff would continue to receive the federal contributions toward their health insurance costs.
In April, Michigan Republican Dave Camp, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, introduced legislation that would shift all federal employees from FEHBP to the exchanges. “If the ObamaCare exchanges are good enough for the hardworking Americans and small businesses the law claims to help, then they should be good enough for the president, vice president, Congress, and federal employees,” said Camp’s spokeswoman in a statement.
And now that the Office of Personnel Management has made its decision regarding benefits for Congress, all other federal workers are becoming more worried.
The National Treasury Employees Union — which includes employees of the Internal Revenue Service — asked its members in late July to write to their representatives regarding their concern about Camp’s legislative efforts. “I am a federal employee and one of your constituents,” began one letter. “I am very concerned about legislation that has been introduced by Congressman Dave Camp to push federal employees out of the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) and into the insurance exchanges established under the Affordable Care Act.”
The argument is that pushing federal employees out of the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program would be unfair. “It would be unjust to change the rules after I have spent the majority of my working life in a public service career that is not as lucrative as the private sector when the career decision to forgo private sector lucre now was in large part made in response to the promise that benefits would be much better for public service employees when they retire,” wrote another respondent. “I relied upon and take action in response to the promises that were made, so not living up to the promises amount to a fraud that changed my entire career path.”

i don't want obamacare...thats for all the other schmucks......waaaaaaaa

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-18-2013), MACH1 (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,904 Times in 3,494 Posts
Default Re: Here’s Why Federal Workers Don’t Want Obamacare

If Representative Camp feels so strongly about this he should voluntarily opt out his FEHB coverage and get coverage under an insurance exchange

Since Camp has been undergoing treatment for cancer my guess is we will not be seeing that particular profile in courage

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-cancer-free/

Get back to me when the GOP Representatives baying at the moon about why federal employees should be covered under the exchanges rather than the FEHB program lead by way of example by opting out of their FEHB coverage and seek insurance exchange coverage for themselves and their families
harrison'samonster (08-18-2013), JonM229 (08-18-2013), pczach (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

This is not an issue of republican vs. democrat.

We already know the political system is broken.

It's an issue of federal employees and politicians sense of entitlement at the expense of taxpayers.

With the federal deficit pushing 20 trillion and the private sector who pays for this having inferior insurance I don't see how anyone but an arrogant elitist with a sense of entitlement could defend this...including republicans.

Just my opinion.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
This is not an issue of republican vs. democrat.

We already know the political system is broken.

It's an issue of federal employees and politicians sense of entitlement at the expense of taxpayers.

With the federal deficit pushing 20 trillion and the private sector who pays for this having inferior insurance I don't see how anyone but an arrogant elitist with a sense of entitlement could defend this...including republicans.

Just my opinion.
How about many federal employees having a skill set that requires compensation at competitive rates?

Or would you prefer jobs such as air traffic controllers or positions at the Federal Reserve or SEC to be filled by anyone who cannot get hired at Wal-Mart?

Even George Will thinks it might not be prudent to keep whacking away at agencies such as the National Institutes of Health.

The sequester’s a public health hazard
By George F. Will

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...f84_story.html

If folks just wish the federal government would go away and see going after federal employees as a necessary means to the end of "starving the beast" or are just pissed compensation packages for some federal employees are higher than they for whatever reason think it should be just say so rather than prattling on about "overpaid" federal employees

That meme is pretty clearly a talking point rather than an indisputable conclusion with regard to many federal employees

Federal workers overall get just 2 percent higher wages than private-sector employees holding similar jobs, but they receive 16 percent more in total compensation because of generous benefits.

There are, however, great differences in wages and benefits depending on education levels; less-educated federal workers receive higher wages and benefits compared with private-sector employees, while those with advanced degrees are paid less....

But the picture is not so good for federal workers with professional or doctorate degrees. Even generous federal benefits cannot make up for the big wage gap between them and their higher-paid private-sector counterparts.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/cbo...n-federal-pay/
Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
But the picture is not so good for federal workers with professional or doctorate degrees. Even generous federal benefits cannot make up for the big wage gap between them and their higher-paid private-sector counterparts.
Is someone forcing them to work for the Gov't?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Is someone forcing them to work for the Gov't?
No - I guess you want the bottom of the barrel working for the Government? I am guessing you would not want that with anyone else who can impact your life

As of September 2011, 19,592 federal workers were paid $180,000 or more, according to the Office of Personnel Management’s online database. Most were Veterans Affairs doctors, as USA Today reported in an article relying on September 2010 data.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/cbo...n-federal-pay/

I guess you think the vets need to man up and get care from someone willing to work for less?

So you are not a veteran. Think about the aircraft being brought in for a landing, the FDA reviewing a drug with potentially lethal side effects, and the economy being wrecked because nobody overseeing Wall Street knows 2+2=4. If you think Government only benefits those who work for it and has no beneficial effect for anyone else, that assumption makes it hard to debate the point.

I get how folks subject to Govt regulation want morons enforcing the laws - what I don't get is the public being convinced it is raining while those same folks are pissing on their legs about the dangers of Big Gummint

As far as saying the real problem is Gummint regulation and let the market decide what works, get back to me on how deregulation of the financial industry worked out for all of us
Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Our national debt is heading towards 20 trillion.

Eveyone else is cutting back and doing more with less....

Yet those employed in the public sector who produce nothing believe they somehow deserve better pay, a month extra vacation, better benefits and better retirement than those who are breaking their backs to pay for it?

Sorry, doesn't pass the sniff test.

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 08-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Our national debt is heading towards 20 trillion.

Eveyone else is cutting back and doing more with less....

Yet those employed in the public sector who produce nothing believe they somehow deserve better pay, a month extra vacation, better benefits and better retirement than those who are breaking their backs to pay for it?

Sorry, doesn't pass the sniff test.
You have ignored my links for 2 weeks now - Other than the standard Drudge talking points (please link to something, even it is partisan crap from AEI and the Heritage Foundation) what makes you think:

1) Those who are employed in the public sector "produce nothing" (it's a post-industrial economy - GDP is more than gross tons of steel produced);

2) Everyone in the federal govt is getting better pay;

3) Everyone in the private sector "breaks their backs" and everyone in the federal government just hangs out

4) "Everyone" is cutting back except the feds (federal pay has been frozen since 2010 - not so in the private sector)

When I worked at DOJ I spent 60-80 hours a week working when I was in trial - if you want my response to you about whether or not I was screwing off when I worked for the federal govt send me a PM )
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Do you feel that government employees deserve better insurance than everyone else?

~ 3 Doors Down

Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Do you feel that government employees deserve better insurance than everyone else?
I am pretty sure federal employees do not have better insurance than "everyone else" - by way of example, my guess is the insurance coverage at Google, Apple, and Goldman Sachs is pretty sweet. Maybe you can direct me to a study that reaches a different conclusion - then again maybe not.

On average federal employees insurance benefits are better than those for the entire private sector, but since federal employees are concentrated in metropolitan areas and 15.7% of the population, all of which is in the private sector, has no insurance coverage whatsoever there are a lot of variables in what is a comparable private sector v. federal employee measure of insurance coverage.

The best insurance coverage among federal employees is TriCare coverage for the uniformed military and their families - do you think the armed services are sucking on the public teat by getting good insurance coverage?

I do not think in order to work for the federal govt. you should be required to put on a hair shirt and take a vow of poverty in order that some taxpayer can get the warm fuzzies about feeling superior to his perceived inferiors.

As far as me personally, when I was at DOJ my benefit package was not any sweetheart deal compared to the attorneys I was litigating against or their white collar clients.