Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342
Default Bad Feeling

I have no evidence of this, nor any inside information, but I'm getting the feeling that Branch is gone.

Yesterday I heard two things that concern me. One, that Branch has been shooting for free agency all along. Two, some one who's opinion I respect said he felt that Branch was not coming back to the Patriots.

I don't how he can do it though. He can't sit out the year it would cost him too much. And the Patriots aren't going to just let him walk without getting something for him.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Bad Feeling

I think he's going to end up being traded...there's no way the Pats let him walk for nothing.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
I have no evidence of this, nor any inside information, but I'm getting the feeling that Branch is gone.

Yesterday I heard two things that concern me. One, that Branch has been shooting for free agency all along. Two, some one who's opinion I respect said he felt that Branch was not coming back to the Patriots.

I don't how he can do it though. He can't sit out the year it would cost him too much. And the Patriots aren't going to just let him walk without getting something for him.
Until you read or hear something concrete from the Pats organization, hardwork, don't believe anything else you may hear. Rumors get started and are then exaggerated. I agree with XT here - the Pats aren't going to just allow Brady's #1 guy to walk without getting some form of compensation in return.

(Come on over to the black and gold side where you won't have to worry this season about anyone walking!)

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

I heard bout the drama goin on in New England wit Branch and it seems to me that the pats players are skippin town left and right. I don't know what caused the exodus of New England but it's weird for me to watch and painful I'm sure for pats fans. Branch has got til October to find a new team/deal but I would think that the less than frantic response he's gotten so far would tell him that he should stay in New England at least for this season. Unless he is havin some problem wit someone inside behind closed doors I can't see what the reason he has for leavin besides wantin more money which many teams don't have much room to move wit the salary cap.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06 View Post
I heard bout the drama goin on in New England wit Branch and it seems to me that the pats players are skippin town left and right. I don't know what caused the exodus of New England but it's weird for me to watch and painful I'm sure for pats fans. Branch has got til October to find a new team/deal but I would think that the less than frantic response he's gotten so far would tell him that he should stay in New England at least for this season. Unless he is havin some problem wit someone inside behind closed doors I can't see what the reason he has for leavin besides wantin more money which many teams don't have much room to move wit the salary cap.

BuFu

Its purely related to the level of succes the Patriots have had in recent times.

Players get an inflated sense of self-worth, which isn't compatible with the salary cap or the Patriots ethos after a few championships.

You have had a small sample of that with Randle El and Chris Hope - just wait until the big names start arguing for an extra slice of the pie.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 08-30-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

http://nfl.com/news/story/9624074

IS DEION BRANCH REALLY FOR SALE?
Do any of you have a neighbor or a relative who puts his house up for sale with no intention of selling it unless he gets his asking price? They kind of want to see what the market really is for their property.

It probably would be in Deion Branch's best interest to hold onto Tom Brady and the Patriots.
Well, by announcing that Deion Branch is free until Sept. 1 to bring a trade offer back to the Patriots really is the same thing. If Deion really turned down the reported Patriots offer of $33 million over five years -- with close to $19 million of it in the first three years -- then Branch has to find a team willing to part with close to $40 million over five years.

If he can get that part of the equation covered, then the Patriots will ask for compensation from the club. If a team is willing to say Branch is worth an average of more than $7 million a year, then it is recognizing he has first-round value in the trade. New England should expect at worst a second-round pick that converts to a No. 1 if Branch meets a certain performance level.

As one GM who wouldn't mind getting another starting wide receiver said to me today, "He's better than what we have right now, but I'm not sure Brady doesn't make him look even better. I wonder what he will do with an average QB on the field."

Certainly, Brady's preseason performance (35 for 54, 17 different Patriots with a reception) suggests the talent of the QB and the system has something to do with Branch's success in the past. As a personnel director said to me, "Don't get me wrong. Branch is a very good player, but the Patriots deal on the table is the right one."

Branch probably is going to see Sept. 1 come and go without a real trade unless he makes some concessions. The next thing we are likely to hear is that he will return if there's a promise not to use a franchise tag next season. I don't believe the Patriots would ever give up their right to use the tag, so Branch will return to New England. He has hefty fines to pay, and he might want to rethink New England's offer if it's still on the table after his fact-finding mission.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some things of note:

while litp contends they will not set a precedent and overpay for a player they are clearly doing that with the absurd offer on the table.

why would branch reject such a lavish offer? perhaps he feels the pats will continue to water down his stats and he will never realize the potential he feels he has. maybe numbers do matter to him as much as rings. maybe he feels he has not ben a success, just a mere token extension of tom brady. pretty humiliating. maybe having a hall of fame career matters too.

a good reason to sit out is that he knows he wont re sign with the patriots next year no matter the offer. sure he loses part of a million this year but if he plays and gets hurt (which is very likely) his stock plummets.

it will be cool watching how this plays out. everything says its about the money so why hasnt he accepted the best deal he will be offered? could it be that being respected as a man is worth more than another $10,000 piece of jewelry?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
http://nfl.com/news/story/9624074

IS DEION BRANCH REALLY FOR SALE?
Do any of you have a neighbor or a relative who puts his house up for sale with no intention of selling it unless he gets his asking price? They kind of want to see what the market really is for their property.

It probably would be in Deion Branch's best interest to hold onto Tom Brady and the Patriots.
Well, by announcing that Deion Branch is free until Sept. 1 to bring a trade offer back to the Patriots really is the same thing. If Deion really turned down the reported Patriots offer of $33 million over five years -- with close to $19 million of it in the first three years -- then Branch has to find a team willing to part with close to $40 million over five years.

If he can get that part of the equation covered, then the Patriots will ask for compensation from the club. If a team is willing to say Branch is worth an average of more than $7 million a year, then it is recognizing he has first-round value in the trade. New England should expect at worst a second-round pick that converts to a No. 1 if Branch meets a certain performance level.

As one GM who wouldn't mind getting another starting wide receiver said to me today, "He's better than what we have right now, but I'm not sure Brady doesn't make him look even better. I wonder what he will do with an average QB on the field."

Certainly, Brady's preseason performance (35 for 54, 17 different Patriots with a reception) suggests the talent of the QB and the system has something to do with Branch's success in the past. As a personnel director said to me, "Don't get me wrong. Branch is a very good player, but the Patriots deal on the table is the right one."

Branch probably is going to see Sept. 1 come and go without a real trade unless he makes some concessions. The next thing we are likely to hear is that he will return if there's a promise not to use a franchise tag next season. I don't believe the Patriots would ever give up their right to use the tag, so Branch will return to New England. He has hefty fines to pay, and he might want to rethink New England's offer if it's still on the table after his fact-finding mission.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some things of note:

while litp contends they will not set a precedent and overpay for a player they are clearly doing that with the absurd offer on the table.

why would branch reject such a lavish offer? perhaps he feels the pats will continue to water down his stats and he will never realize the potential he feels he has. maybe numbers do matter to him as much as rings. maybe he feels he has not ben a success, just a mere token extension of tom brady. pretty humiliating. maybe having a hall of fame career matters too.

a good reason to sit out is that he knows he wont re sign with the patriots next year no matter the offer. sure he loses part of a million this year but if he plays and gets hurt (which is very likely) his stock plummets.

it will be cool watching how this plays out. everything says its about the money so why hasnt he accepted the best deal he will be offered? could it be that being respected as a man is worth more than another $10,000 piece of jewelry?
I would characterize the Patriots offer to Branch as on the generous side of realistic - to call it abusrd goes against everything to have accused the Patriots of in the past - namely being cheap skates who wont pay their players what they are worth.

Just wait until the Steelers have that level of success in the salary cap era - well, maybe thats a case of 'if', and not 'when'.

I think I probably have more faith in the F.O that operates the tightest ship on the salary cap era as opposed to the opinions of a Steelers fan who wouldnt know an unbaised opinion if it crashed thorugh his windscreen at 180mph

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I would characterize the Patriots offer to Branch as on the generous side of realistic - to call it abusrd goes against everything to have accused the Patriots of in the past - namely being cheap skates who wont pay their players what they are worth.

Just wait until the Steelers have that level of success in the salary cap era - well, maybe thats a case of 'if', and not 'when'.

I think I probably have more faith in the F.O that operates the tightest ship on the salary cap era as opposed to the opinions of a Steelers fan who wouldnt know an unbaised opinion if it crashed thorugh his windscreen at 180mph

NM
you call it "generous side of realistic" and i call it "absurd". semantics and your poetry aside, you are the one going against what you said in the past. i DID say the pats were cheapskates who should pay their players WHAT THEY ARE WORTH. you said they would never set the precedent for overpaying for any player or their house of cards could come tumbling down.

once again, i am right. the deal on the table is far above market value. it is on par with a snyder deal with randel el or a reach for givens. just cause pinkston or thrash happened to be a #1 wr on the eagles a few years back doesnt mean they were paid like a #1 wr because they simply werent. just cause branch is the best wr on HIS team, doesnt mean he is one of the best in the league. fair market value for him would be a little more than the average of bruce , moulds, and keyshawn would get. maybe ad a mil/year to account for the age factor.

you say 'if' and 'when' yet forget that the steelers are the model of success in the salary cap era. just ask the patriots for an unbiassed answer (one that might be a little difficult for you to swallow, cause once again it would prove you on the wrong side of an opinion) not only have they proven they can handle the loss of players, theyve proven they can handle the loss of coaches too.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
hardwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
you call it "generous side of realistic" and i call it "absurd". semantics and your poetry aside, you are the one going against what you said in the past. i DID say the pats were cheapskates who should pay their players WHAT THEY ARE WORTH. you said they would never set the precedent for overpaying for any player or their house of cards could come tumbling down.

once again, i am right. the deal on the table is far above market value. it is on par with a snyder deal with randel el or a reach for givens. just cause pinkston or thrash happened to be a #1 wr on the eagles a few years back doesnt mean they were paid like a #1 wr because they simply werent. just cause branch is the best wr on HIS team, doesnt mean he is one of the best in the league. fair market value for him would be a little more than the average of bruce , moulds, and keyshawn would get. maybe ad a mil/year to account for the age factor.

you say 'if' and 'when' yet forget that the steelers are the model of success in the salary cap era. just ask the patriots for an unbiassed answer (one that might be a little difficult for you to swallow, cause once again it would prove you on the wrong side of an opinion) not only have they proven they can handle the loss of players, theyve proven they can handle the loss of coaches too.
There is an infinitesimal worm/parasite that gets inside the brain of an ant and drives it to do nutty things that provide no benefit what so ever for the ant. The ant has no idea why it's following the wishes of the worm, in fact it doesn't even know it is.

There are people who have parasite like thoughts that get in their head and lead them to follow those thoughts around without having any idea why, or that, they are. When you run into these possessed people, ie tonyhipchest, the only thing you can do is hope that some day they'll recognize the symptoms and no longer allow themselves to host such parasitic notions.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I think he's going to end up being traded...there's no way the Pats let him walk for nothing.
I agree. If he doesn't come back he'll be traded.